Thread: "Cannot find -lqjpeg" error when compiling QT application in static mode

Default "Cannot find -lqjpeg" error when compiling QT application in static mode

hello, everyone!

I am trying to compile a QT application in static (release configuration) mode using Nokia's QT Creator v.4.7.0 under Windows 7. I compiled QT itself statically as per standard instructions here. However, despite running configure.exe with -qt-libjpeg I am still getting the following error:

Qt Code:
    1. mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lqjpeg
    2. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

.pro file does contain QTPLUGIN += qjpeg

.cpp file does contain Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qjpeg)

The project I am trying to compile is called CutyCapt and can be downloaded here.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: "Cannot find -lqjpeg" error when compiling QT application in static mode

However, despite running configure.exe with -qt-libjpeg I am still getting the following error:
    Did you look if the build process actually succeed in building qt-libjpeg as well?
    Does lib actually exists?
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Default Re: "Cannot find -lqjpeg" error when compiling QT application in static mode

qjpegd4.dll was successfully compiled in the plugins/imageformats directory. Should there be anything else? If so, how do I selectively compile only the plugins themselves (to avoid waiting for 3 hours for QT to recompile)?

I apologize if my question is stupid...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lqjpeg
    qjpegd4.dll was successfully compiled in the plugins/imageformats directory.
    From what you have posted so far, it looks more like you are building a in release mode (you project) but linking to a debug Qt.
    Do you have a release Qt build as well?
    You can try changing your project built to debug and see if it helps.

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

I have qjpeg.dll as well, so that's not the problem.

It seems that I lack qjpeg.a, not qjpeg.dll. However, no matter what parameters I pass to configure.exe, I can't get mingw32 to compile the imageformats libraries for static projects. I only get qjpeg4.a, which is the static version of the library. Any suggestions?

Perhaps someone could zip his c:/qt/static/plugins/imageformats folder and upload it? This seems like the easiest solution.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I am trying to compile a QT application in static
    Ok, I missed it when I first read your post...

I can't get mingw32 to compile the imageformats libraries for static projects. I only get qjpeg4.a, which is the static version of the library.
    I don't get it...
    qjpeg4.a is as you say the static lib, and the static lib is what you want... so I am confused with the problem you have.
    What is it then that you are looking for?

I managed to finally compile the static version of the qjpeg library (libqjpeg.a) by removing the -qt-libjpeg parameter when executing configure.exe. It seems that by setting that parameter, you are telling Mingw32 to take the existing dynamic lib (?).

Now I only need to figure out how to do the same with qlibtiff and qlibgif.

>qjpeg4.a is as you say the static lib

As far as I understand qjpeg4 is a dynamic lib, as it contains the version number and takes only several kilobytes. qjpeg.a is the static lib.

I apologize if I'm not clear, I'm new to advanced QT compilation.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

As far as I understand qjpeg4 is a dynamic lib, as it contains the version number and takes only several kilobytes. qjpeg.a is the static lib.
    Actually no.
    *.so or *.dll are dynamic.
    *.a or *.lib are static (respectively).