Thread: My 3rd party library RPATH problem (Linux)

Default My 3rd party library RPATH problem (Linux)

Hi,

I'm developing a 3rd party library that can be installed as a part of Qt SDK.
    I have the Qt SDK installed to the default dir - in my home dir, /home/username/QtSDK.

The problem is that when I compile the library, linker links absolute paths of my home dir to the binary.
    When I check the lib dependencies of my library with ldd ./libmylib.so, there are:

libQtMobilitySimulator.so.1 => /home/username/QtSDK/Simulator/QtMobility/gcc/lib/libQtMobilitySimulator.so.1 (0x008a1000)
    libQtServiceFramework.so.1 => /home/username/QtSDK/Simulator/QtMobility/gcc/lib/libQtServiceFramework.so.1 (0x009fc000)
    libQtCore.so.4 => /home/username/QtSDK/Simulator/Qt/gcc/lib/libQtCore.so.4 (0x00254000)

Now, when I copy the lib to another computer with other user name, ldd cannot find the dependecies.

What is the preferred way on Linux platform to change those library paths in the binary to correspond the destination computer Qt paths?

On Mac OS X there's a tool called install_name_tool, which does the trick. Qt SDK installer seems changing RPATHs on the fly when it installs the libraries to desired location. For convenience, I'd like to have the library installed under the default path /home/username/QtSDK, not in the /usr/lib.

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: My 3rd party library RPATH problem (Linux)

rpath is only a suggestion. If the linker can't find the library in directories specified by rpath, it will perform a regular lookup for the libraries. If it doesn't work for you then it means you didn't place your Qt libs in a directory the linker looks for libraries.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks for the clarification!

Another question is:
    Is there a way for replacing those linker absolute paths (e.g. /home/username/QtSDK/Simulator/QtMobility/gcc/lib/) with an empty ones?
    I think that could be some option provided by ld linker? Would be nice if my home dir is not listed in the library binary when I release the lib

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by jezze_h View Post
    Is there a way for replacing those linker absolute paths (e.g. /home/username/QtSDK/Simulator/QtMobility/gcc/lib/) with an empty ones?
    Not really. What you can do is not add any rpath entries at all. Clearing QMAKE_LIBDIRS (or something like that) should do the trick.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.