Thanks

Default Re: Is there a widget for this?

lol wut? 0_o

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

I think it's about time for you to solve a problem without using a ready-made code snippets. A programmer usually solves the problem first, then starts to code. I don't know why you want to do it the other way around.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

He doesn't want it the other way. He wants us to think and write the code that he can later copy and paste to his program without thinking about what it does. I'm still convinced he wants QCompleter but hey, what do I know...
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

OK, Granted I am a Newbie. And, I am definately *NOT* a C++ person. So, forgive me if I didn't catch this answer.

First, there are two choices for saving "information" internally as some data type or externally in a data file.

Secondly, a decision has to be made as to what format to store the "information" in.

Internally, you could create a structure and put it in some common variable so when the dialog dies, it can be recalled when the dialog is recalled.

Externally you could use tabbed delimited, comma separated, or even a modified .INI format.

As an example lets say you have eight entry areas. You could write each entry data on a separate line in the file and as long as you read them in the same oder you write them in, you should be able to save and load to your hearts content with simple reads and writes. If you have several users you could name each "storage" file with the users name or ID.

You could also create a database. But, that is not for newbies or the faint at heart.

And, no I can't help with databases because all my experience in that area is VB-6 using DAO/ADO and you'd be using SQL.

Hope this ramble sparks some useful thoughts? (other than kill the interloper )

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

He already knows how to store data. He hasn't got the slightest idea what to do besides storing the data. That's what happens if someone's programming skills are based on tutorials.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I understand all too well the issue of trying to learn it all from Tutorials.

Coming from the completely alien realm of VB-6 I have found myself like a drunken sailor thrown out in Paris, France. (If you don't know the language getting an answer is impossible.)

And, when trying to complete a project with a dealine...

Well that makes things even more interesting.

With little or no time to actually read every page in Mark Summerfield's excellent book, "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt".

It was so much easier in VB6 where to show something modal you just object.show 1

You should have seen the grief I went through trying to get operator input back out of a textEdit! who would have thought that it didn;t have a .text or a getText? I didn't.

But, it was .toPlaintext!!!!

I hope that you have a great day.

And, Best wishes.

Mike Sr.
    BTW: Been watching ST:Voyger on Net Flix...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    He already knows how to store data. He hasn't got the slightest idea what to do besides storing the data. That's what happens if someone's programming skills are based on tutorials.
    what should they be based on?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Druckenmiller Sr View Post
    I understand all too well the issue of trying to learn it all from Tutorials.

Coming from the completely alien realm of VB-6 I have found myself like a drunken sailor thrown out in Paris, France. (If you don't know the language getting an answer is impossible.)
    But you had some programming background, that's completely different. It's ok to not know a tool you are using and learn that from tutorials but you can't learn how to be a programmer using only tutorials. It's like wanting to become a painter by watching tutorials. Sure, you'll learn to use a brush but you won't become an artist. The same rule applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by "BumbleBee" View Post
    what should they be based on?
    You can't become a programmer without knowing how to design algorithms for your problems. And there are no tutorials on that, what we can clearly see based on this thread. You followed a tutorial, ended up with exactly the same code as they did and you were unable to progress further because there was no tutorial on that. If you want to be a programmer, get a book on algorithms, or read some webpages on programming. Or do as I told you -- close your eyes and think how to solve your problem step by step without thinking about the tool you are using. If you want to build a house you don't start with looking for tutorials on how to use a hammer.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I hate to say this, since I am a newbie, but, some things you just can't learn the easy way. They come from pulling what few hairs are left in ones bald head out and knocking holes in cheap sheet rock with ones head.

Tutorials are a great start...

But, like me, 'we' need to actually read the book and the documentation.

Granted, I have found the documentation maddeningly obtuse and sparse when it comes helping people who are not already "in the know".

And, then you know a lot on both ends of the spectrum and have either no knowledge on something others see as "simple", or writers block!

And, for me, writing in Python, the pyQT documentation can be less enlightening than the official QT site.

For all the Experts, please realize that all of us don't know all the jargon and a *lot* of the documentation honestly doesn't make sense because of that.

For instance, how much of the documentation, say, like my question on Modality, explains what the ramifications of various settings are?

Lastly, I was castigated moving from a Windows & VB-6 background into a "real" programmers job because VB-6 isn't a programming language and Windows isn't an operating system. (If you think your code gets scrutinized???)

Now, I am the lead, on writing a major app in Python using pyQT as the GUI, and, if I say so myself, not doing too bad for a newbie.

Why, because I have a bit of imagination and creativity, without which you can't really be a programmer no matter how many tutorials you read or what language.

Anyone can write code to an explicit specification. But, going from a very vague concept to a GUI UI, and writing "acceptable" and "Useable" code, that's a programmer.

Lastly, never become so intrenched in any given block of code that you can't rewrite it and try something new.

Sorry for the rambling lecture...

Mike Sr.
    It doesn't have to be "Elegant", it just has to work. You can always add "Elegance" as you skills improve...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I hate to say this, since I am a newbie, but, some things you just can't learn the easy way. They come from pulling what few hairs are left in ones bald head out and knocking holes in cheap sheet rock with ones head.

Tutorials are a great start...
    Ok, but at some point you have to stop using tutorials and start thinking on your own. O.P. certainly didn't reach that point yet.

For all the Experts, please realize that all of us don't know all the jargon and a *lot* of the documentation honestly doesn't make sense because of that.
    We realize that. However you can't expect us to babysit each newbie and explain everything from scratch to him. When you're on a course of say... "Using Macros in Word", they don't start teaching by explaining how to handle the mouse and they don't explain what a disk drive is. Sometimes here I have an impression that some people wake up one day and think "and today I'll become a software developer!". Then they login to their computers and immediately come here, expecting to be writing computer games in the evening. I have been learning how to program for well over 10 years after I told myself "ok, I think I'm a decent programmer now". And trust me, there were no video tutorials on everything back then.

For instance, how much of the documentation, say, like my question on Modality, explains what the ramifications of various settings are?
    I'm sorry, I won't back you up here. I think the docs are pretty clear on this assuming you know what modality is. If you read the docs for Qt::WindowModality, everything is explained there.

Qt products
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I knew I needed new glasses.

I notice, though, that, this information is one the QTNamespace page.

I am not sure I would have made that connection without help.

And, I did do a search and came up empty. (Granted it probably wasn't phrased right.)

And, at my age (59) I am not really sure whether I did the search on Google, pyQT or the QT site!

We realize that. However you can't expect us to babysit each newbie and explain everything from scratch to him. When you're on a course of say... "Using Macros in Word", they don't start teaching by explaining how to handle the mouse and they don't explain what a disk drive is. Sometimes here I have an impression that some people wake up one day and think "and today I'll become a software developer!". Then they login to their computers and immediately come here, expecting to be writing computer games in the evening. I have been learning how to program for well over 10 years after I told myself "ok, I think I'm a decent programmer now". And trust me, there were no video tutorials on everything back then.
    Point accepted and it's "well taken".

I have had the same problem as an Electronics tech dealing with Engineers!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I notice, though, that, this information is one the QTNamespace page.
    You just need to access docs for "windowModality" and click on the hyperlink anchored to the type of the property. Anyway... getting offtopic here...

Thanks

But wysota, you didn't reply to PM.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by "BumbleBee" View Post
    But wysota, you didn't reply to PM.
    see his signature.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

No no... he wasn't asking such questions I have already replied to his PM.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

i guess he asked your skype id

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by nish View Post
    i guess he asked your skype id
    No, he didn't