Thread: Qt 3.x + Qwt - Advice on programming and plotting.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Qt 3.x + Qwt - Advice on programming and plotting.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some guidance and advice from you people here, I got a peculiar situation where I would like your help. Just hear out my situation first with patience. Your contribution/reply will be deeply appreciated.

I got a little self induced project work. Where I am to work in Real time linux (RT Linux - FIFO operation) - So I am using Red Hat 9 Shrike, have to use only Qt 3.1 (Yikes! I know - basically should work in Kernal 2.4) and should use Qwt in order to draw out graphs for scientific visualization - basically real-time plotting. And also please note that I cannot change on the tools I have to use here. Kind of obligatory.

Now my questions are :

1. For real-time plotting / visualization - Is there no other library or extension for Qt other than Qwt?

2. Which version of Qwt is most compatible and easy to work it ? Because Qwt 0.4.1 (4.1) and also I think Qwt 5.x support Qt3.x and above, Although I think I read that documentations of Qwt with Qt4.x + are only available. So can I use the Qwt 5.x for my project here, will it hinder or clash with support of Qt 3-1?

3. What's with the version of Qwt? Is Qwt(0.4.1) = Qwt 4.1 ? If so why? and Qwt 5.x or is it Qwt 0.5.1?? Little confused here.

4. I am using Qt Designer 3.1, is there a Qwt plugin for Qt Designer( Mind you - not Creator - Creator is not even available for Qt 3.1), If so then please help me on getting it on to my Designer. Was not able to do it today when I was fiddling around with Qwt 0.4.1.

5.Whats the BEST resources or tutorial for Qwt? I know Qwt has its own documentation, but its not lucid at all. Any one know other resources, although I squandered the Internet but couldn't come up with much.

6. I suppose Qt support OpenGL, Can it be used for real-time plotting ? Please accept my incompetence on understanding of OpenGL. All I know is that its used for rendering graphics, but I ask is, can it be used for plotting?

7.On running the examples of Qwt. I did install Qwt according to the ReadMe file included in it. But I am unable to run and compile the examples with...
    Qt Code:
    1. # qmake -project
    2. # qmake -o makefile testfile.pro
    3. # make clean
    4. # make
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    Let me mention here - I did set TMAKE and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (whatever theie name were) to the /usr/qt3.1/lib folder.
    And the problem that I am facing is when I try to make the .pro file using the qmake command its actually doesnt write the proper file as opposed to one already written when compiling and installing Qwt. So as a work around I used the .pro already generated and managed to compilethe examples. ( I will try and post the exact code in the .pro tomorrow, so maybe you will be able to help me better.)

That's all for now. I am really sorry to bandger my post with so many question, but as you can see that I had a very peculiar situation. And very little information is available over the Internet for Qt3.x, so I turning to your veterans here, Hope to get some replys.

Anyway if you feel that I should I opened different topic for each or maybe have posted this is wrong section. Please accept my humble apology.

With regards.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: Qt 3.x + Qwt - Advice on programming and plotting.

No one here to help? I know its Qt 3.x, not many people will have any idea about it. But I was hoping maybe some veteran here could help me out. Hope something turns up this weekend.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Qwt up to version 6.0.0 (but not including) supports Qt3.
    As far as I know online documentation for Qwt is up to date although each source code has documentation current for that version.

Anything can be used for ploting, OpenGL, QGraphicsSceen (but I think you don't have that in Qt3), or simple QWidget (in essence Qwt is QPolygon drawn on QWidget + plenty of convinience functions).
    All depends on what kind of performance you're looking for.

Take a look at examples to learn Qwt, unfortunatley documentation is very vague.

4. The following user says thank you to Spitfire for this useful post:

amitahire (19th October 2011)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Qwt up to version 6.0.0 (but not including) supports Qt3.
    As far as I know online documentation for Qwt is up to date although each source code has documentation current for that version.

Anything can be used for ploting, OpenGL, QGraphicsSceen (but I think you don't have that in Qt3), or simple QWidget (in essence Qwt is QPolygon drawn on QWidget + plenty of convinience functions).
    All depends on what kind of performance you're looking for.

Take a look at examples to learn Qwt, unfortunatley documentation is very vague.
    Thanks you VERY VERY VERY much for replying. I dont know how I missed it, didnt see it the last 2 days. Even though I was checking everyday, every single time I logged on.

Anyway coming back, just to assure myself Qwt upto 6.0.0 will work fine in qt3 right? I have to make it work on Real Time Linux - any idea about it?

And is there a Qwt plugin for Qt Designer 3.1? Though I am gonna experiment now, installing various version - but little heads up or tip would be good.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Sorry, I've no idea about RTL ;/
    And yes, support for Qt3 was dropped in Qwt 6.x.x so anything before that should work just fine.

I know there's a plugin for the designer, but most time I've heard about it was mentioned in context of QtCreator on windows.
    I would imagine you can use it with QtDesigner alone but you'll have to try it yourself - I personally don't use it

Here's few links that may help you, they are all for windows but you may get an idea what needs to be done:
    http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-2....g-plugins.html
    http://qwt.sourceforge.net/qwtinstall.html
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...gin-for-qt-4-5
    http://www.qtforum.org/article/20071...al-studio.html

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by amitahire View Post
    Anyway coming back, just to assure myself Qwt upto 6.0.0 will work fine in qt3 right?
    Qwt 5.2 works for Qt 3.3 - Qt 3.1 is way older.

I can't remember which version of Qwt works with Qt 3.1 - I'm afraid you will have to go back in history of the Qwt releases to find the most recent version, that works for Qt 3.1.

Uwe