Thread: How to get started with simulation of application using Qt for embedded Linux ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default How to get started with simulation of application using Qt for embedded Linux ?

I need to develop an embedded linux application with menus and corresponding screens (similar to phone menu and their corresponding screens). Before that I need to develop a pc based simulation for approval of customer. The same is to be ported on to the embedded platform after it is finalized.

I've installed Qt Creator 2.3.0, Based on Qt 4.7.4 (32 bit) on Ubuntu. Is this the right IDE for developing Qt embedded applications. Now I'm trying to figure out which project (Qt quick / Qt Widget / .. ?) to choose for simulation purpose. Can the simulation software be ported on to the embedded linux platform ?
    Where & how do I get started?
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: How to get started with simulation of application using Qt for embedded Linux ?

I do my development on Ubuntu 10.04 using Qt4.7.3 (32 bit). The application runs fine under ubuntu. Then I use a cross build environment when buildiing for the target (which is an arm based processor). There are very few cases where the code paths differ between the 2 platforms.

I don't think it matters whether you use an IDE or not (I don't). It's the toolset that you use to build for the cross environment that matters. For demo/development purposes, developing on Ubuntu using the native compiler and Qt built for X11 should be fine. I don't think you need a special simulation environment. I don't use one and it works adequately.

Plus the advantage is that your app can be built to target a variety of host targets (laptop, handheld, tablet).