Thread: How I installed Qwt-6.0.1 the Uwe way on a Windows7 Xp 32 bit machine

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Lightbulb How I installed Qwt-6.0.1 the Uwe way on a Windows7 Xp 32 bit machine

Firstly I am Using Qt 4.7.4 and Qt Creator 2.4.0, both are mingw versions. I used qt-win-opensource-4.7.4-mingw.exe as my Qt installer and qt-creator-2.4.0-src.zip as my Qt Creator and MinGW-gcc440_1.zip as the compiler version.
    I wont go into the mingw, Qt and Qt Creator install I will assume you have the Qt libs and Qt Creator compiled with mingw from herein. My version of Qwt is Qwt-6.0.1. As an aside my version of Qt is installed in C:\Qt\4.7.4 and my version of the Qt Creator is installed C:\Qt\QtCreator

I will assume that if you have used different install directories than me that you are smart enough to replace my directories that I show here with your own, if not well.....

Steps (this is what I did and it worked for me)
    1) Unzip Qwt into a temp directory that does not contain any spaces in the path. For me this was C:\temp

2) I did not edit the qwtbuild.pri file (found in the unzipped qwt directory) and let it do its build as a release and debug (it did not build a debug version of the designer plugin as far as I can tell) as it lets me get both the qwt.dll and the qwtd.dll

3) In the qwtconfig.pri file I commented out the Qwtsvg and QwtMathml lines as I wasn't interested in that (you may be but for all I know)

4) Then I went to start->programs->Qt by Nokia v4.7.4 (MinGW OpenSource)->Qt 4.7.4 Command Prompt and started the Qt command prompt window

5) Then from within the command prompt window I changed directory to C:\temp\qwt-6.0.1 and then typed: qmake qwt.pro

6) Then from within the command prompt window I typed: mingw32-make

7) After a bit it finishes compiling and then you type: mingw32-make install

8) After a bit it finishes and you should now have the following directory in your C drive C:\Qwt-6.0.1

9) Then from within the command prompt window I typed: qmake -set QMAKEFEATURES C:\Qwt-6.0.1\features

10) Now close the command prompt window

11) From within windows go to start->settings->control panel->system then go to the advanced tab and select the environment variable button

12) Now select New and for the variable name you type: QT_PLUGIN_PATH and for the variable value I typed: C:\Qwt-6.0.1\plugins

13) Now from the existing environment variables select the PATH variable and add the following at the end: ;C:\Qwt-6.0.1\lib and then hit OK and close the system window. This one lets the widgets show up in the Qt designer.

14) Almost there , now you need to open the qtvars.bat file which for me is located in C:\Qt\4.3.4\bin for editing. The edits that follow let you see the Qwt widgets in the Qt Creator embedded designer.

15) In the qtvars.bat file I added the following after the other set PATH commands: set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Qwt-6.0.1\lib

16) and after the echo to path commands I added: echo -- adding C:\Qwt-6.0.1\lib to PATH <-I am sure this step is probably not really required it is just letting you know what happened on screen.

17) Save and close the qtvars.bat file

18) WIN! You should now be able to start either the Qt Designer (for me its in the Qt program files dropdown list) and/or the Qt Creator (e.g via the Qt 4.7.4 command prompt: cd c:\Qt\Qtcreator\bin followed by qtcreator.exe) and see the Qwt widgets in the form editors

19) Do not forget to add CONFIG +=qwt into your project PRO file

So now you do not have any qwt dll's scattered about the Qt distribution and all is good in the world. As you can see this really is the same as Uwe's INSTALL instructions (for Windows/mingw) but slightly expanded and with the one addition of editing qtvars.bat. Awesome job on the Qwt library Uwe. Well Done mate.

Cheers
    Oz

2. The following 2 users say thank you to OzQTNoob for this useful post:

grantbj74 (8th May 2012), ilham (27th October 2012)

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: How I installed Qwt-6.0.1 the Uwe way on a Windows7 Xp 32 bit machine

12) Now select New and for the variable name you type: QT_PLUGIN_PATH and for the variable value I typed: C:\Qwt-6.0.1\plugins

13) Now from the existing environment variables select the PATH variable and add the following at the end: ;C:\Qwt-6.0.1\lib and then hit OK and close the system window. This one lets the widgets show up in the Qt designer.

The new variables must be system or user? Because i made new user variables but i can not see the qwt widjets in Qt..... Please help....

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: How I installed Qwt-6.0.1 the Uwe way on a Windows7 Xp 32 bit machine

12) is a new user variable
    13) is an addition to the system PATH variable

I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks for the instructions. The INSTALL file with qwt doesn't really go into enough detail for average users.

I have installed this once before.

I am now re-installing it on a virtual machine for testing.

The problem i'm having now is with make. It is trying to use ../../2010.04/qt/mkspecs/default/qmake.conf
    Instead of 4.5.1/mkspecs/default/qmake.conf

Shows:
    cd src\ && mingw32-make -f Makefile
    No rule to make target '../../2010.04/qt/mkspecs/default/qmake.conf', needed by 'Makefile'. Stop.
    mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory 'C:/ToolsQWT-60~1.1/src'
    mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/ToolsQWT-60~1.1/src'
    mingw32-make: *** [sub-src-make-default-ordered] Error 2

I searched all files for 2010.04 but no luck.

I did accidentally run make in c:/Qt/4.5.1. Not sure if that killed anything, took like a day to compile.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by grantbj74; 4th May 2012 at 07:35.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi Grant,

I am sorry to say that I dont know mate. It took me a long time to get it done properly and I am a complete noob to compiling etc.

But there must be someone here that can answer your question, at a guess it looks to be a path problem with your qmake.conf (probably stating the obvious I guess). Doesnt the message suggest a problem with Qt rather than with QWT (just guessing again)

Cheers

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I found my problem, I wasn't using fresh qwt install files. I used install files from my other computer (which has QT setup differently).

I put a fresh set of qwt install files on and installed it no worries.

Cheers,
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by OzQTNoob View Post
    14) Almost there , now you need to open the qtvars.bat file which for me is located in C:\Qt\4.3.4\bin for editing. The edits that follow let you see the Qwt widgets in the Qt Creator embedded designer.

15) In the qtvars.bat file I added the following after the other set PATH commands: set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Qwt-6.0.1\lib

16) and after the echo to path commands I added: echo -- adding C:\Qwt-6.0.1\lib to PATH <-I am sure this step is probably not really required it is just letting you know what happened on screen.

17) Save and close the qtvars.bat file
    I installed Qt to D:\QtSDK and Qwt to C:\Qwt-6.0.1. but i cant find the qtvars.bat file. ist not in my install dir and not on C.
    I don't even have a C:\Qt\4.3.4\ or D:\QtSDK\*\4.3.4\ folder.

What should i do now?

(I used the "QtSdk-offline-win-x86-v1_2_1.exe" installer with default settings)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

What should i do now?
    If you expect to program entirely by literal cut and paste then you might as well give up.

You installed the Qt SDK into D:\QtSDK. The Qt SDK is not the same thing as a standalone set of Qt libraries, which would typically be installed in to a D:\Qt\x.y.z directory. The Qt SDK does install desktop Qt libraries, if you opted to install any, into D:\QtSDK\Desktop\x.y.z. The version of those libraries will be later than the 2008 vintage version 4.3.4 (was probably meant to be 4.7.4 given earlier content in the post you reference) but since you looked through all these directories for the qtvars.bat file you'll already know that. The "qtvars.bat" file that was part of an earlier bundle has changed name to "qtenv2.bat" but remains one of the very few bat files in the Qt directories and can be found with 30 seconds of effort. Alternatively, you can have the environment set for you by running "Qt 4.x.y for Desktop (MinGW)" from your Start menu, which runs the aforementioned bat file, or even just look at the shortcut properties.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW67 View Post
    If you expect to program entirely by literal cut and paste then you might as well give up.
    I allready got qwt working on my Ubuntu PC about 3 month ago and remember it to be much less complicated but now i have to use WinXP because I need to use a w32-dll.
    Out there are like 1000 howto's on this topic but none of them are working for me... im getting crazy

I editted both "qtenv2.bat" (the 4.7.4 and the 4.8.1 one) but still no qwt widgets in the designer

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

The "how to" that I wrote is specifically for the standalones, it does NOT work with the SDK which is, as far as I am aware, compiled with Visual studio (or something). Anyway long story short it is incompatible with QWT you need to work with the stand alones if you are using the "how to" I wrote.

I did try and make it clear what I used, so if it was unclear then please let me know and I will make the necessary edits.

Cheers

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi Oz,
    I got a problem here. I don't understand how to solve it.

C:\Temp\qwt-6.0.1>qmake qwt.pro
    C:\Temp\qwt-6.0.1>mingw32-make
    cd src\ && mingw32-make -f Makefile
    mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Temp/qwt-6.0.1/src'
    Makefile:289: warning: overriding commands for target `.c.o'
    Makefile:286: warning: ignoring old commands for target `.c.o'
    mingw32-make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++/qm
    ake.conf', needed by `Makefile'. Stop.
    mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Temp/qwt-6.0.1/src'
    mingw32-make: *** [sub-src-make_default-ordered] Error 2

I've tried to solve this problem for about 3 days but nothing changes.
    Can you help me, please?

Thank You.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by ilham View Post
    mingw32-make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf', needed by `Makefile'.
    Your Qt installation is broken - or at least misconfigured. This has nothing to do with Qwt, instead read the Qt docs about "mkspecs".

Uwe

14. The following user says thank you to Uwe for this useful post:

ilham (28th October 2012)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks Uwe for your fast reply.
    Ok. I'll read about it.