Thread: QT Upgraded - Can't add Widgets to UI

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default QT Upgraded - Can't add Widgets to UI

Hello,

This afternoon, I upgraded my PC to Ubuntu 12.04. During this process, QT Creator/Designer 2.4.1 were installed.

After this upgrade, I am not able to add widgets to UI forms in my QT projects. When I try to drag the widgets from the toolbox, the pointer turns to a Circle with a slash through it (forbidden). Almost like it is read only. However, I am able to go in and edit widgets already added and save the file so I don't think it's a permissions/read-only issue.

I have "Edit Widgets" chosen in the toolbar.

I'm sure this is some setting/mode that I'm just simply overlooking. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: QT Upgraded - Can't add Widgets to UI

same problem here...updated from 11.10 to 12.04....widgets are vanishing after drag and drop on the window...they are not getting addded...on executing blank window is displayed without any widget...i am using Qt Creator 2.4.1 of Qt SDK version 1.2.1...recently released..please help any one...

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

The same here (Ubuntu, QT Creator 2.5) - cannot drop widget from widget toolbar onto the form in designer.

Did anyone solved this mystery already?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Solved. The issue is not with Qt Creator, it is with new Unity shell which is a default shell on Ubuntu. Switched to Gnome 3 and everything works as expected.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Exclamation Re: QT Upgraded - Can't add Widgets to UI

Quote Originally Posted by QPlace View Post
    The issue is not with Qt Creator, it is with new Unity shell which is a default shell on Ubuntu.
    Actually, I am on Kubuntu 12.04 and was STILL having this exact problem (right up until today), so it's not just an issue with Unity. It is most definitely something else altogether.

EDIT: It just so happens that heathbar82 has the solution that worked for me on this very same forum, so I'ma try to drive it up in the search engine rankings by linking it here, in case I'm not the only person still having this problem.
    Last edited by SpamHater; 24th July 2012 at 15:58. Reason: Solved!

I've encountered the same problem on Ubuntu 12.04 and Qt Creator 2.4.1. I don't use Unity so Unity isn't related to this problem. I don't see any helpful errors in terminal. I've noticed that form editor doesn't work only on external monitor connected to my laptop. When Qt Creator's window is placed on the main laptop monitor, everything works fine. Very, very strange.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Hi,
    for me (using Crunchbang and AwesomeWM) it appears that this might have something to do with my multihead setup. On one screen (VGA) it always works, on the other (LVDS) I frequently have the same problem.
    Cheers, Simon

edit: the funny thing is that on my LVDS most of the time I CAN drop Widgets BUT only in the left upper corner of the form.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I am having this issue (unable to drop widgets in designer) accessing Qt 4.8.6 with SSH.

I have Qt-creator 2.5.2 installed on a CentOS 6.5 server, and access my account using Cygwin-X XWin Server, where I connect by typing:

ssh -XY <myusername@server-ip-address>

Then when I run qt-creator from the command line, the UI pops up on my Windows 7 box, and all seems well, until I try to build forms with designer. If I actually log on the server directly (not over SSH), I don't have the problem.

I'm not sure how to configure my Cygwin to deal with this.

UPDATE: I discovered a setting on the XWin-Server command window: under VT-Fonts, enable "Allow Window Ops". After setting it, I was able to drop widgets in designer.
    Last edited by Scholtes; 12th November 2014 at 23:29. Reason: resolved