Thread: Debugging using Qt Creator + MSVC 2010 Express SP1 (+ CMake)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question Debugging using Qt Creator + MSVC 2010 Express SP1 (+ CMake)

Hi,

I have, on Windows, set up Qt Creator to work with MSVC 2010 Express SP1. In order to be able to debug, I had (as mentioned somewhere on the Qt website) to install the Debugging Tools for Windows, and then make sure that CDB could be found by Qt Creator.

All of the above works perfectly fine. If I build one of Qt’s examples, I can step over/into/out of the code, set up breakpoints, etc. I (obviously?) can’t step into Qt’s code itself, since the symbols (PDB files) are not provided (I believe I would have to build Qt myself for that?).

Now, my ‘problem’ is that I use the binary version of a third-party library. It was built using MSVC 2010 and comes as a DLL (but no PDB file, so as Qt itself) and it all works fine, except that I cannot debug any of my code which relies on that third-party library. Say that I set up a breakpoint in my code, then Qt Creator will never stop there. On the other hand, if I set up a breakpoint somewhere before that third-party library gets loaded, then Qt Creator will stop as expected.

So… what am I missing, if anything?…

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Debugging using Qt Creator + MSVC 2010 Express SP1 (+ CMake)

I am having similar issues with Qt Creator 2.5, MSVC2010, and the CDB debugger. CDB seems to be setup properly and it loads when I start debugging in QtC, but it never stops at any of the breakpoints in my code, nor can I step into the program. I will say that my builds are a little more complex in that they use custom built Qt static libraries that are also statically linked to the MSVC runtime so there are minimal DLL dependencies. As the original poster said though, none of this should really matter when the breakpoints are in my code, which is being compiled by the QtC IDE.