Thread: echo map demo output on another machine

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default echo map demo output on another machine

Hello,

It sounds like a simple task, but I'm a bit befuddled. I want to take the output of the mapdemo program and echo it in a viewer window on another machine on the network. I've been looking at the multicase sender/receiver, but still haven't come up with a way to do it. Has anybody done this before? Would appreciate a link to some functioning code.

Thanks,
    Roland

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: echo map demo output on another machine

more difficult than you may first think.

first you need to think about the information/commands that are going to be used to express what you want. Is the viewer on another machine going to be a view onto the other program? is it going to be the same program but run in a slave mode?

I'm not familiar with the multicase/map demos.

I would suggest fat client over thin - meaning that any maps you want to share need to already be installed on "viewers'" machines. you would then communicate via sending coords and scale through a socket.
    If you have a problem, CUT and PASTE your code. Do not retype or simplify it. Give a COMPLETE and COMPILABLE example of your problem. Otherwise we are all guessing the problem from a fabrication where relevant details are often missing.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

That option is not available. Everything will be pulled from the ether. In the old days of X this was trivial. You ran your main application as an X server, then X-window clients simply connected. In the world of Qt, when you only want one "frame" out of an entire display, this is a PITA. Espexially with OOP since the data one needs will be scattered about in various classes on the host machine.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

why is it not available? you have to send data of some sort, so how can 'thin data' be not allowed, but 'fat' is?

you can of course 'screengrab' and serialise the image...
    If you have a problem, CUT and PASTE your code. Do not retype or simplify it. Give a COMPLETE and COMPILABLE example of your problem. Otherwise we are all guessing the problem from a fabrication where relevant details are often missing.