Thread: Wondering if using Qt4 & Qt4 creator & designer makes sense when using Anjuta c++ IDE

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Wondering if using Qt4 & Qt4 creator & designer makes sense when using Anjuta c++ IDE

Hi, I'm new to Qt and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux
    I've heard good things about the Anjuta c++ & python IDE for Linux
    I'm definitely going to be using Qt4 and its designer and creator
    I'm wondering how difficult it is to make Qt4 and the output files from the creator and designer work with Anjuta,
    which is aparently usually used with GTK as the GUI?
    Could somebody explain how I would get this working?
    I like the idea of using Anjuta, but could be convinced to use Eclipse with CDL if it were way easier for a beginner
    I would think that it wouldn't be too hard, that it would be a matter of telling Anjuta where to look for Qt or something like that.
    If so I don't mind a little bit of adaptation if someone can give me a lead.
    Doug

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Wondering if using Qt4 & Qt4 creator & designer makes sense when using Anjuta c++

Quote Originally Posted by dug_the_math_guy View Post
    Hi, I'm new to Qt and fairly new to Ubuntu and Linux
    Welcome
    I've heard good things about the Anjuta c++ & python IDE for Linux
    I'm definitely going to be using Qt4 and its designer and creator
    Anjuta is an IDE and Qt Creator is an IDE. You probably won't be using both. Qt Creator is a reasonable one-stop option for Qt programming. Anjuta is y designed to be a reasonable one-stop option for GTK application development.
    I'm wondering how difficult it is to make Qt4 and the output files from the creator and designer work with Anjuta,
    which is aparently usually used with GTK as the GUI?
    The tool kit that Anjuta uses to do its own GUI is irrelevant: ultimately it is just a big text editor with some ability to run external tools. The embedded GTK GUI construction facilities and help browser will not be of any use for Qt UI design or help access. The source code for Qt programs is just C++, plain text (PRO files, QML), or XML files (resources). There's no magic involved in editing them. The IDE should never directly edit the XML output of Qt Designer or the code that is generated from that output.
    Could somebody explain how I would get this working?
    You would have to learn how a Qt program is built and find a way to coax Anjuta to run qmake on a project (PRO) file before make (at its simplest), or run the equivalent steps directly (moc, uic, rcc). Maybe someone has done that already; I could not see that in a quick search.
    I like the idea of using Anjuta, but could be convinced to use Eclipse with CDL if it were way easier for a beginner
    The easiest way for a Qt beginner to build Qt applications is to use Qt Creator, or your favourite text editor and the Qt tools directly.
    Anjuta is really designed to be a good one-stop option for GTK application development, which suits Ubuntu well.
    Eclipse is a monster, even for its native Java land.
    I would think that it wouldn't be too hard, that it would be a matter of telling Anjuta where to look for Qt or something like that.
    You'd need to get it to run qmake, then make as a starting point.