Thread: two cursors appearing if qt desktop application run on windows7 Tablet

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default two cursors appearing if qt desktop application run on windows7 Tablet

The desktop application is build in Qt Creator IDE on windowsXP with the build for Qt Version 4.7.3 for Desktop - MingGW4.4(Qt SDK).
    If this application is run on a Windows7 Tablet the application shows two cursors. One cursor which is Arrow type (assuming it is what the application sets as default) and another cursor(which is smaller than the size of previously described cursor). The Arrow Type Cursor is not coming to the touch point on the screen and the cursor stays out of the Widgets. The arrow type cursor is visible on the screen but in unwanted place. Please guide me what is the mistake I am doing. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Wink Re: two cursors appearing if qt desktop application run on windows7 Tablet

May be there is some compatibility issue with windows 7. Read This:---->

The upcoming Windows 8 release is expected to bring a large amount of different kinds of tablet devices into the market. These devices are typically equipped with desktop-like capabilities, and can basically run all today’s existing Windows applications. Digia has been testing Qt Commercial with the Windows 8 Developer Preview, and both Qt C++ and Qt Quick applications work nicely. There were no modifications needed to make them run just like they do on Windows 7. However, in order to maximally benefit from the new things in Windows 8, the Metro style needs to be brought to Qt.

Windows 8 will target both desktop and tablet devices, with the new Metro style being clearly focused on tablets. It is expected that the Windows 8 tablets will have about equivalent capabilities to the laptops today, including compatibility with the Windows 7 style of applications. The benefits of the Metro style are naturally more apparent in the tablet devices.

Digia has investigated how well Qt Commercial 4.8 runs with the Windows 8 Developer Preview on a few tablet and desktop devices designed to run Windows 7. Applications have been working nicely and application performance has been good even in devices with low-end tablet hardware. We have also already contributed some of the found Windows 8 development environment related issues to the Qt Project, and are looking forward to continue this co-operation.

In order to maximally benefit from the Metro style Windows 8 brings and to develop applications as easily as possible, a set of Metro components is needed for Qt. Even without ready-made components, it is possible to make your own applications look like Metro applications quite easily. This can be achieved with graphics and by styling your application. Actually, Qt Quick already includes several layouts and elements that are very similar to Metro components. Of course, creating Metro style applications with Qt isn’t limited to only Qt Quick applications. We have also been experimenting with styling C++ based Qt applications to Metro style and yet again proved the versatility of the Qt framework.

Digia intends to work actively in the Qt Project in order to create the Metro components for easy deployment of Qt applications on Windows 8. The timeframe of Windows 8’s availability is not yet publicly confirmed by Microsoft, but we will stay tuned for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: two cursors appearing if qt desktop application run on windows7 Tablet

The OP is talking about a problem on Windows 7. Digia is talking about the unreleased Windows 8 and mentions nothing about compatibility issues with Windows 7. Cannot see a connection.

The mouse pointer is something the Windows GUI provides. Qt is not responsible for drawing the cursor although it can change the system cursor under certain circumstances just like any other application. I have no idea under what circumstance Windows 7 would produce two cursors, neither of which behaves as expected.

Can you reproduce the problem with a single window, do-nothing application?
    Does the second pointer exist when the Qt application is not running?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: two cursors appearing if qt desktop application run on windows7 Tablet

Ya, I've just posted so that may be there is some compatibility issues in windows 7 tablet, so thats why i said to try it for windows 8. Anyway i am not confirmed about that????

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Chris,
    I would restate the issue as below:
    Problem statement:
    I am using XPlore Tablet with Wacom Pen and the Operating System is Windows7. My application is built on Qt4.8.0 with the corresponding Qt Creator. My Application is built for Desktop. When the application is run on the tablet if I use the external mouse I am able to click and control all the operations of the application. Without the external mouse if I use wacom pen(standard pen without any buttons) then the mouse pointer goes into state or position which is outside the GUI of the Application. I could not click any buttons provided by GUI of the application. At this time if you see the cursor is outside the GUI. If we open some other different application the cursor operates correctly for that application. ( This was why I intially mentioned two cursors. )

In search of Solution:
    Then I started for searching solutions.Then I browsed the internet and forums. Got a patch file (realted to 4.7 and above )which recommends the changes in the application_win.cpp in the kernel of Qt Source code. Now I changed them (4 to 5 lines) manually. But I do not know how to use the changed application_win.cpp to build my application. Please share the how to use the changed application_win.cpp to build my application. Thanks is advance.
    Also interested to know Wacom Pen issues (as indicated in the internet forums) are solved. Also interested to know am I in right path to solve the above issue.