Thread: Rich text performance issue

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Question Rich text performance issue

Has anyone encountered performance issues when using rich text with html tags? I used either QLabel or QTextArea and passed in setText function an html string, with tags like, <table>, <font>. Leaving the program running overnight, the GUI ended taking 80% of the CPU. Removing the tags fixed the issue. While there's a work around, it'd be nice to use rich text.

I'm using QtEmbedded 4.6.1

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Rich text performance issue

If you don't do anything to the text or its surroundings that requires constat re-layouting the text, then no CPU power should be used on it regardless of the content of the text.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

3. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

cookie1909 (12th September 2012)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I forgot to specify that the text is constantly updated very second to show the time. I have no performance issue when using plain text. But rich text would take up a lot of CPU. The bigger of the redrawing area is, the faster the CPU usage will increase.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by cookie1909 View Post
    I forgot to specify that the text is constantly updated very second to show the time. I have no performance issue when using plain text. But rich text would take up a lot of CPU. The bigger of the redrawing area is, the faster the CPU usage will increase.
    That seems quite normal, doesn't it?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

No, not quite

For example:
    Updating a label holding a red text by using function label.setText("<font color=red>Some red text</font>"); every second takes up a lot of CPU usage.
    Drawing a label using palette.setColor(label.foregroundRole(), Qt::red); every second takes up almost nothing

It would make sense to me if performance is similar either way, which is not in this case.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

In the second case you just draw text using a red pen. In the first case you have to parse HTML every now and then and do a bunch of other stuff. However I don't think drawing a red "Some red text" label takes that much cpu power. Your real use-case is much more complex.

8. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

cookie1909 (12th September 2012)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

hmm so I thought about this again today and I'm still not convinced... if it always takes the same cpu usage all the time when parsing html then ok. But initially it'd take only 3%-4%, then overnight it'd take 70%-80%. It just seems like there's a memory leak somewhere while parsing html because with a red pen I don't have that problem.

Appreciate your help, wysota

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by cookie1909 View Post
    hmm so I thought about this again today and I'm still not convinced... if it always takes the same cpu usage all the time when parsing html then ok. But initially it'd take only 3%-4%, then overnight it'd take 70%-80%. It just seems like there's a memory leak somewhere while parsing html because with a red pen I don't have that problem.

Appreciate your help, wysota
    Please post a minimal compilable example reproducing the problem and I'll happily inspect it for you.