Thread: How to step into Thirdparty library source code while debugging?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question How to step into Thirdparty library source code while debugging?

Hi all,
    I am using a third party library in my Qt App. This third party library was built by VS2012(both debug & release). My Qt app will link it to dynamically. When i am debugging application from Qt creator, i cant step-into the external library function call's source code( i have the source code of that library ). I understood that gdb unable to locate source code. But how to make it happen in windows platform. I have mentioned in .pro file to link my app with library(libs path). Application is able to link with library (in both release and debug modes), but how to step into lib source code while debugging from Qtcreator?
    My Environment Details:
    OS: Windows7, QT SDK : 1.2.1 (Qt libs - v4.8.1), Qt Ctreator - v2.4.1.

Thanks..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to step into Thirdparty library source code while debugging?

Do you have debugging symbols from that third party library in a format understandable by your debugger?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question Re: How to step into Thirdparty library source code while debugging?

Yes. I have PDB (Program Debug Database) file for the library. It was generated while building the library source code in VS2012. But i don't know how to make use of it to view the source code of library while debugging. My Qt creator is using default "gdb" for debugging purpose which was shipped with QTSDK.
    I would like to mention one more point. I built the same library(its a plain c++ based one) in Ubuntu and able to generate libraries (.so) files in both release and debug modes. But some how i solved this problem in Linux environment by using an option in Qt creator like " Add library " -> External library.. In this approach gdb is able to locate source of the library so that i have successfully entered the source code. Unfortunately this approach is not working in Windows.( I have added lib by using same option in Qt-creator in windows).
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by vangaurd View Post
    Yes. I have PDB (Program Debug Database) file for the library. It was generated while building the library source code in VS2012.
    That's for MSVC, not for MinGW. I doubt GDB is able to read pdb files.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question Re: How to step into Thirdparty library source code while debugging?

Yeah. May be PDB files are only for MS debuggers only. So is there any way i can use MSVS compiler and debuggers in my QtCreator instead of default GCC and GDB?.
    FYI:I have installed all native tools (windows SDK, MSVS) including debugger tools (CDB) in my windows.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Yes, you just need to download Qt libraries for MSVC. Or you can rebuild your C++ library with MinGW and use that.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you. I will try these possibilities.