Thread: Fresh Install QT5 compiler issues.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Fresh Install QT5 compiler issues.

I just recently installed visual studio 2012. To my dismay, not much had changed in terms of WYSIWYG functionality- the thing that has kept me in command prompt programming for years. I read about QT and proceeded to download and install the latest 5.0 version.
    I had pretty much expected it to run out of the box, since I had the windows SDK installed with VS2012. I opened an example program and hit the build button. To my dismay it kicked back an error, ":-1: error: Qt Creator needs a compiler set up to build. Configure a compiler in the kit options." No biggie, went to options-Kits. The Desktop qt5.0.0 MSVC2010 32bit (SDK) is listed, but greyed out on all options and has a triangle warning sign next to it. The compiler option says <No compiler available>. Click the "manage" button which shoots me over to the compilers tab. I have about 8 VS2012 compilers listed under the auto-detected list. Still confused that I have compilers listed, but none of them work?
    Did as much googling on qt5 as I could, and downloaded the win7/VC++2010 SDK just to be sure. Still no change. So I uninstalled EVERYTHING, reinstalled the SDK, then QT5. Now I have no compilers listed. I cannot find a "facepalm" newbie install guide that describes how install and run from scratch.
    I consider myself a long-time programming hobbyist, I'm not up-to-date but am in no means a greenhorn to this kind of thing.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Fresh Install QT5 compiler issues.

I think VS2012 is not yet supported by Qt5. 2010 should work fine if you downloaded the proper variant of Qt. A facepalm newbie approach would be to install Qt for MinGW along with MinGW itself.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I tried installing MinGW as well, and manually adding it in the compiler list(I hope I linked to the correct exe) and it still said I had no compiler. Under the Qt versions tab in options, the Qt 5.0 version listed has a stop sign in front of it, and when I click on it states "No compiler can produce code for this Qt version. Please define one or more compilers" I tried to select a compiler from the dropdown located in the 2nd details button but nothing occured. Looks like 5.0.0 only ships with the VC 2010 option, no MinGW included in the package. I think I will just download 4.8.4 with MinGW in the package and see what happens.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

From what I can see the binary package available for download only supports MSVC2010. If you don't need any Qt5 features (which is likely that you don't), I suggest you download Qt 4.8 instead.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

The binaries you installed are built with VS2010 so if you want to use Qt 5 with MinGW or VS2012 you will need to build the Qt 5 source with the compiler you want to use.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I could have had my program written in command line by now LOL, uninstalled 5.0, and got 4.8.4. Now it says my MinGW w32api.h is the incorrect version, I have 3.17 instead of the 3.13 needed.... great, so now I'm hit-and-miss downloading older releases of minGW until I find one with 3.13 in it.....
    Googling lead me to this file, http://code.google.com/p/piece-of-c/...1.zip&can=2&q=
    which is now allowing me to install 4.8.4 with no compatability errors.

If I got VS 2010 should I have no issues with 5.0? Or Zlat are you saying I should build Qt using VS 2012 and it *should* work then?

And all I wanted to do was create a simple program for my wife to use for her fish with attitude app, since the matching algorithms are so simple.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Download and execute this instead of everything you have done so far: http://www.qtcentre.org/QtSdk-online-win-x86-v1_2_1.exe

Launch the installer, make sure both Qt 4.8 and MinGW are checked and you should have everything you need set up properly.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

wysota, you are a life saver, removed all the other crud I put on and used that SDK installer, no problems, thanks!!