Thread: Need Advice on Good Widget for Defining Order of Items in a List

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Need Advice on Good Widget for Defining Order of Items in a List

I'm pretty new to using the built-in Qt widgets.

I have a list of six names. I want the user to be able to pick four of the six, and define an order for those four.

There will be N sets of these lists. The lists are teams, with four team members active at a time. So the user picks a team with six players. Any previous choices need to be remembered, but the user can change which four on the team are active, and what order they're in.

One way I thought of is to have four comboboxes with the same six items for each. The user then picks a different name for each or the four comboboxes. I'd have to indicate somehow when the same name was in two comboboxes.

I can make that work, but maybe there are better ways? The "which 4 of the six" changes infrequently. The order of the "chosen 4" is likely to change frequently. The data I need from the widget is the "chosen 4" in the defined order.

I think a really convenient way would allow the order to be changed by dragging something to the correct place in the four positions, but that might be too complicated.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Need Advice on Good Widget for Defining Order of Items in a List

Hmm... QListWidget or QTreeWidget, optionally with checkboxes?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Create one QListWidget, with six items.
    Next to it, you place 2 buttons, MoveUp and MoveDown (with a nice icon...).

Select the name you want on top of the list and click MoveUp to get it there.
    Select the next name etc. etc.

When done, click Done, or OK.
    Read the first 4 or all 6 items.

This way you don`t have the trouble of indicating double items and copying between widgets.
    It`s also easier to the eyes, because there are less widgets and you can concentrate on the items (names).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

I will suggest QTableWidget, with couple of custom QTableWidgetItems in the column cells, that would be nice (from user perspective).
    When you know how to do it then you may do it wrong.
    When you don't know how to do it then it is not that you may do it wrong but you may not do it right.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I'm trying out QTableWidget for this, the column headers are the team members. Each row has split times for the team members.

Making the horizontal header "movable" seems to work nicely. But, I like the idea of having arrow icons to move the selected column left or right, since I'm not sure how well drag/drop will work on a tablet. Do I need to write the code to move the data to swap with the adjacent left or right column, or is there a "slicker" way?

Also, if I keep the movable headers, can I keep the first column fixed, but allow all others to be movable?

Thanks!