Thread: How much portable is QT5 (at the moment) ?

Thanks

Default How much portable is QT5 (at the moment) ?

Hello again.

The company I work for is currently searching for a framework that would be very portable across many platforms, including Windos, Linux, MacOs and mobile operation systems (Android, Blackberry, Windos8) and Web (or rather functions written for Web with JavaScript and JQuery).

I know that QT5 aims to support most (all?) of the above - but how much does it support at the moment? How hard it is to write an application in QtQuick+C++, and then port it to other system? I know that Windows, Linux and MacOs should only require recompilation and they are usually good to go, but what about mobile platforms?

And what about JQuery - can we use it in quick alongside JavaScript?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How much portable is QT5 (at the moment) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Huk View Post
    I know that QT5 aims to support most (all?) of the above - but how much does it support at the moment? How hard it is to write an application in QtQuick+C++, and then port it to other system? I know that Windows, Linux and MacOs should only require recompilation and they are usually good to go, but what about mobile platforms?
    Right now (2013-02-12) the only officially supported mobile platform for Qt5 is BlackBerry 10. However Qt is known to work on other platforms too. For example it works on any Linux/X11 platform such as MeeGo Harmattan (Nokia N9). Qt5 will be officially supported for Android later this year and for iOS (initial support planned for ~Q4/2013). Qt also supports Linux Embedded and Windows Embedded (CE). WP8 will likely not be supported. NaCL (Google Chrome) should get proper Qt5 support too. Note that if you want to use QtQuick2, you need OpenGL(ES) to be fully supported by the hardware on any of the platforms.

jQuery is mostly oriented around manipulating DOM which doesn't exist in QtQuick so I don't see how you would like to use it there. However technically speaking you can load it into your javascript code.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers.

We currently write web applications (web pages, with some javascript controls - like calculators etc), and we are looking for an api that would allow us to easily port this javascript controls to other platforms as applications and maybe expend them in the process, of course - we want to port them once and use everywhere ;]

I know QT is not web oriented (I hope it will be some day), but since it support javaScript, and embeded HTML with the use of internal webKit, I wonder if would be good for us.

BTW - is Quick1.0 considered deprecated or is still developed alongside Quick2.0 ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

We currently write web applications (web pages, with some javascript controls - like calculators etc), and we are looking for an api that would allow us to easily port this javascript controls to other platforms as applications and maybe expend them in the process, of course - we want to port them once and use everywhere ;]
    If Qt provides useful or not highly depends on what your applications are doing. If you just want a webbrowser where you can display a page with your HTML, JavaScript and CSS possibly enriched with C++ components then go ahead, Qt's WebKit will handle all that. But if you want a real port of your apps to desktop then WebKit is of not much use to you.

BTW - is Quick1.0 considered deprecated or is still developed alongside Quick2.0 ?
    QtQuick 1 is deprecated in Qt5. However QtQuick2 is 99% compatible with QtQuick 1 so QtQuick 1 code should work fine in QtQuick 2 once you update import statements.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Hello again.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
    I do not have every answers of your question but I will give some info about this question about JavaScript. Many JavaScript collections use $ as a operate or varying name, just as jQuery does. Hope this little will helps you a bit.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    WP8 will likely not be supported.
    Hi,
    i'm just curious: why do you think WP8 will not be supported?
    I read an article about Windows RT support which stated that it is still in "investigation" state. Do you have any more infos?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

No, no new info.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

A new Qt SerialPort module helps to control serial connections, said to be of primary benefit to desktop versions of Qt. Qt also gains improved OpenGL ES support, including new QOpenGLTimerQuery, QOpenGLTimeMonitor, and QOpenGLDebugLogger classes, and better geometry support, says the project.

Finally, Qt 5 includes an updated Qt Creator 2.7.2 IDE (integrated development environment). Version 2.7.2 offers improved C++11 code editing support, an enhanced Qt Quick Designer, and the first Android development target.