Hi,

I am writing a software installation program for X11/Win.
In my program I do check for write permission in the - by the user, selected Installation directory.
I use a repository .deb, .rpm or tar.gz on X11's for main program installation, but the 'missing file' needs to be obtained by this installer, so basically the .deb / .rpm will take care of most of the install and only 2 files (obtained from a secure location on the internet) need to be written to the Installation directory.

I would like to check if the user has (polkit) permission to install a program and/or download a file to the installation directory? If not I will need to elevate permissions?

I have been reading documentation on global/local policies for x11 and Win OS's so I know there is no cross platform standard for checking this.
Most X11 Os's uses polkit (see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/...est/index.html)
After reading the documentation I got kinda confused on how to implement the pkcheck function on X11 using QDbus (assuming I need to talk directly to the D-Bus and not opening a console app - checking for pkcheck return values?)

My questions:
  1. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?
  2. Is there is an alternative to checking install credentials using Qt?

Thanks in Advance.