Thread: How to wrap QToolTip text character-by-character instead of wrap at word-breaks ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default How to wrap QToolTip text character-by-character instead of wrap at word-breaks ?

In my Linux 2.6 machine using Qt 4.7.4, default wrapping of QToolTip for long text in QTableView works fine i.e. the rich text gets wrapped at word-breaks according to min-width (although whitespaces get squeezed but that is not the bother right now).

I want to wrap at character-level instead of word-level eg in here: http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/s...32159e086a5af7 ,
    there is a LOC self.set_wrap_mode('character' if enable else None) [which "looks" like it wraps at character-level instead of word-level]

To put it another way (http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/13368),
    QString text = "Some text: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
    should be displayed in tooltip as:
    ——————⠀”———--
    | Some text: aaaa |
    | aaaaaaaaaaaaa |
    ——————⠀”——----
    whereas it is displayed as
    ——————⠀”———
    . | Some text: |
    . | aaaaaaaaaaaaaa(rest of the word is truncated because of screen resolution/size, which I want to cure!) |
    ——————⠀”——-

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: How to wrap QToolTip text character-by-character instead of wrap at word-breaks ?

You will probably have to reimplement some of the text layout / painting code in a class you derive from QToolTip (I don't know which - you'll have to study the Qt sources for that). It makes no sense to arbitrarily break long words at random places just to make them fit on a line. It will be unreadable. It does make sense to use a hyphenation library to properly break long words and insert hyphens in correct places according to hyphenation rules.

3. The following user says thank you to d_stranz for this useful post:

hvc (9th April 2013)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Re: How to wrap QToolTip text character-by-character instead of wrap at word-breaks ?

Yeps, agreed that we should not arbitrarily break the long word but I want to wrap the word if some characters are being obscured. I will try to intercept viewportevent and do some "trickery" (calculate size of word vis-a-vis view/display size and) eg try either of:
    • use horizontal moving tooltip (marquee tag does not seem to be available in Qtooltip or maybe I did not apply it correctly?)
    • shorten the font size while still being readable
    • use hyphenation like suggested by d_stranz or maybe QString splitting

Will post the solution once I find/try one.