Thread: Windows 8 installation using NSIS

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Windows 8 installation using NSIS

I have an application built with Qt 4.8.1 that I am deploying to Windows. I have been using the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS) version 2.46 along with an add-in/macro for elevating the User Access Control (UAC.nsh) on Windows 7 and Vista to admin privileges, as it seems to be needed to install my program executable. The NSIS installation script works fine for Windows 7, Vista and XP, but when I run it on Windows 8, it runs through the script and creates a desktop icon and that's about it. Nothing shows up in the installed programs in the Control Panel, there is no folder for my program in the Program Files folder and nothing except the desktop icon seems to have been installed. Has anyone else had a similar experience or tried to use NSIS to install something on Windows 8?

Added after 36 minutes:

OK... I downloaded and installed the new NSIS version 3.0a1 (released today) and compiled the same NSIS script (after loading the UAC.nsh macro in the appropriate folder). Now the .exe that NSIS builds seems to run on Windows 8, installing all of the DLLs, and the program shows up in the Control Panel. My program itself doesn't seem to run correctly, but that is another matter. At least it seems to install correctly on Windows 8 now.
    Last edited by bkudrle; 15th July 2013 at 04:31.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Windows 8 installation using NSIS

Has anyone else had a similar experience or tried to use NSIS to install something on Windows 8?
    I have had no issues with my pre-exiting NSIS install script on Windows 8.

It sounds like your UAC elevation failed and the files were either not written or helpfully virtualized into a per-user virtual store.