Thread: Vector graphics in Qt4

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Vector graphics in Qt4

Hi @ all!

I searched for a while now, but couldn´t find an answer to my problem.

I want to use vector graphics in a GUI. At first I tried to use QImage, but if I use the scaled() function my picture looks really bad..
    I read now that there is a SVG format for vector graphics or (and?) I could use QPainter but I cannot see the connection.

Hopefully you all could give me a hint at using vector graphics

For the GUI I use a QGraphicsView with Scene where I put added some QGraphicsObjects classes I wrote myself.
    I want to resize, transform, overlap different images to show some infos on the screen (like rotate an arrow over another background image).
    The vector graphics are in a png format.

I hope it´s understandable what I mean (I am not so good in explaining myself, so sorry beforehand )

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Vector graphics in Qt4

Quote Originally Posted by Abayo View Post
    The vector graphics are in a png format.
    No, they are not. PNG is a raster format, not a vector one.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ah ok, thx
    I don´t know where I got the idea that png format is also for vector graphics.

So that means I should use svg-format?
    Can you give me a hint at using svg in qt? (I search for myself of course (svg-viewer example), but more information is better and mybe someone knows a good trick )
    Is it possible to use vector graphics like I was able to use the raster graphics with QImage? (QImage cannot display svg, so far I know)

Added after 1 7 minutes:

Pls have a look at this idea to use SVG and tell if it´s wrong:

In my program I use 3 classes (Speed, back, front). Each one is a QGraphicsObject.
    In back and front I was setting my pictures and made some paintings.
    In Speed I invoked back and front and set back as parent of front ( and Speed as parent of back). I also did some setPos() and rotate() commands in Speed for back and front.

Now, with QGraphicsSVGItem, I derive front and back from QGraphicsSVGItem and give the constructor the svg-file.
    -> Do I now need an QSVGRenderer too? Documentation said that I can use renderer OR give svgfile to constructor.

Because QGraphicsSVGItem is a QGraphicsItem, I can use the painting methods from before and my Speed class is also not changing so much, right?

OR

should I use QGraphicsSVGItem like a QImage?
    Then I would invoke in back instead of a QImage a QGraphicsSVGItem and use this for displaying the SVG-file
    Last edited by Abayo; 6th August 2013 at 12:11.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I don´t know where I got the idea that png format is also for vector graphics.
    I do not know that either.

You can use whatever you like.

Can you give me a hint at using svg in qt? (I search for myself of course (svg-viewer example), but more information is better and mybe someone knows a good trick )
    How do you intend to "use" it?

Is it possible to use vector graphics like I was able to use the raster graphics with QImage? (QImage cannot display svg, so far I know)
    You can always rasterize an SVG image and use it with QImage.

-> Do I now need an QSVGRenderer too? Documentation said that I can use renderer OR give svgfile to constructor.
    How about just try and see for yourself?

Because QGraphicsSVGItem is a QGraphicsItem, I can use the painting methods from before and my Speed class is also not changing so much, right?
    I don't understand what you mean.

should I use QGraphicsSVGItem like a QImage?
    I don't understand what you mean. The two have nothing in common. QImage is for accessing particular pixels of a raster image. Unless you want to change parts of the SVG drawing on the fly I don't see how would you want to "use QGraphicsSVGItem like a QImage".
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Yeah, I can see that you cannot understand what I mean
    Think of myself as a noob with Svg in Qt and a beginner in Qt which tries to explain things with techniques he already learned

You can use whatever you like.
    Well.. that is true, but I wanted to know what kind of format would be the best for using vector graphics in Qt

How do you intend to "use" it?
    =>
    I want to resize, transform, overlap different images to show some infos on the screen (like rotate an arrow over another background image).
    Imagine a class "front" with an arrow.svg (which is an arrow), a class"back" with a circle.svg (which is a circle) and a class "Speed".
    Class "Speed" calls "back" and "front". "back" is a background-image and "front" is rotating happily in front of this background image.

I don't understand what you mean.
    I have read that QGraphicsSVGItem is derived from a QGraphicsItem. Up to this point "back", "front" and "Speed" were derived from this QGraphicsItem with a reimplemented paint() function to draw a QImage and to draw some other things (like text, and so on..).
    My idea now was that I don´t derive "front" from QGraphicsItem, but instead from QGraphicsSvgItem. Then I could (in my theory) reimplement paint() again to draw my text. For the picture (the svg-file "arrow.svg") I was thinking about using

Qt Code:
    1. frontV = new Front(QString(QCoreApplication::applicationDirPath() + "/pictures/arrow.svg"),back); //invoke in Speed.cpp
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

insttead of

Qt Code:
    1. front = new Front_S(back); //invoke in Speed.cpp
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Can you now understand my idea/theory about using svg in qt?

I don't understand what you mean. The two have nothing in common. QImage is for accessing particular pixels of a raster image. Unless you want to change parts of the SVG drawing on the fly I don't see how would you want to "use QGraphicsSVGItem like a QImage".
    Yeah I think so too. And my question was misleading..
    Until now I loaded a png-picture into a QImage with load() and displayed it inside a QGraphicsItem via drawImage() with a painter. With QImage I could use scaled() to resize the picture.
    Now I want to display the SVG-file in my class and do some scaling/resizing.
    For this I thought about using it "like QImage". Which meant calling inside my QGraphicsItem derived class "front" a new QGraphicsSvgItem and give this item the picture I desire.
    I my opinion this way is similar to how I was using QImage before.

The question now is: Would that be a good way or the other way, where the class "front" is derived from QGraphicsSvgItem?

How about just try and see for yourself?
    Well, thanks for this advice.
    I tried it and the program is crashing. So it looks like using QGraphicsSvgItem without QSVGRenderer is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Abayo; 6th August 2013 at 13:32.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I have read that QGraphicsSVGItem is derived from a QGraphicsItem. Up to this point "back", "front" and "Speed" were derived from this QGraphicsItem with a reimplemented paint() function to draw a QImage and to draw some other things (like text, and so on..).
    My idea now was that I don´t derive "front" from QGraphicsItem, but instead from QGraphicsSvgItem. Then I could (in my theory) reimplement paint() again to draw my text.
    Why not just instantiate QGraphicsSimpleTextItem and make it a child of the other item?

Can you now understand my idea/theory about using svg in qt?
    SVG is not rocket science. In the end you end up with a raster image anyway. The difference from using QPixmap (using QImage doesn't really make any sense here) is that scaling quality is better.

I tried it and the program is crashing. So it looks like using QGraphicsSvgItem without QSVGRenderer is a bad idea.
    There are many reasons why it could crash. The item has a default renderer, there is no point in overriding it unless you want to share the renderer with some other svg drawing.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I already tested a bit with QGraphicsSimpleTextItem and QGraphicsTextItem but I couldn´t do what I wanted to do (mainly because of the missing alignment.. and the workaround for this was too much for only 2 numbers).
    So I decided to write the numbers with the paint() method, because I already had to draw some lines.
    -> Is it bad coding style to do it this way?

I found the reason why it crashed and both ways are working now. At the moment I use a QSvgRenderer, but I think I will switch back to the default renderer.
    But one thing is still bothering me:
    The graphics are looking good in big, but if I scale them down with factor 0.15 then I can see the pixels on diagonal lines. I think this happens because I converted the png format to svg format via inkscape, but could it also because Qt doesn´t use a resolution high enough?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

-> Is it bad coding style to do it this way?
    No.

I found the reason why it crashed and both ways are working now. At the moment I use a QSvgRenderer, but I think I will switch back to the default renderer.
    The default renderer is also a QSvgRenderer. You substitute an object with identical one.

I think this happens because I converted the png format to svg format via inkscape, but could it also because Qt doesn´t use a resolution high enough?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

ok

Most of it is now clear, so for now thanks for your time and answers!
    The rest I hope to find out myself.
    Btw funny picture, but I cannot understand your answer