Thread: [SOLVED]QTimer::remainingTime() returning negative numbers diff. from -1 ?!

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Question [SOLVED]QTimer::remainingTime() returning negative numbers diff. from -1 ?!

Hi everyone,
    I'm using a QTimer in a multithread Qt5 application. Here is my structure:

Main application (MainWindow.cpp) creates a thread "ComputeScores" that creates N threads "AlgorithmTest" in its run() method. In each of these "AlgorithmTest" threads run() methods, I'm creating a timer to give to a particular algorithm some time budget (once the time is elapsed, the algorithm has to give the best answer it found during this interval).

So what I do in some of my algorithm steps to check the budget isn't exhausted is testing that the reamining time of my timer is not 0. But it turned out that QTimer has a strange behaviour...
    When I start my algorithm in "AlgorithmTest" run(), the first thing I do is "myTimer.start(myBudget);". Then as second instruction, for testing purposes, I print myTimer.remainingTime() rightaway with "qDebug() << myTimer.remainingTime()".
    The first time it prints (so for the first call to start()), it prints... 0. Then the second time, it prints a random negative number (always a negative one) like -613230304. So of course the rest of my program just makes everything wrong (like infinite loop as the time never reaches 0, even if sometimes it does, despite of the negative remainingTime ?!).

I just don't know what to do here, I googled that and nobody has never seen negative remaining times I think... :/

Thank you in advance!!
    Last edited by Data42; 28th August 2013 at 00:10.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QTimer::remainingTime() returning negative numbers diff. from -1 ?!

Show us the code please. Also remember that the timer requires a running event loop to fire. If you don't return to the event loop before the timer times out, you will not get notified that the timer has expired.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Hi thank you for your response.
    You were right, the problem was the event loop that I didn't fired. Now instead of calling my code directly in run(), I just do
    Qt Code:
    1. QTimer::SingleShot(0, this, SLOT(threadCode());
    2. exec();
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

and I added "quit();" at the end of threadCode(). Everything is fine now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

How does that solve your stated problem?