Thread: Deployment Linux Tutorial Tanslation for Newbie

Qt products
    Qt5 Qt/Embedded

Question Deployment Linux Tutorial Tanslation for Newbie

Hello,
    could someone please translate this tutorial for me to "new-to-linux-and-qt", because I sometimes just don't know what is wanted from me to do. http://silmor.de/qtstuff.cross.php

1: "pre-compile Qt on Windows, this is much more stress free, since Qt builds some tools it needs for building first. Use the same MinGW version for building that you use on Linux!"
    So I downloaded and installed QtCreator. I shall build the application, like I want to run it for Windows. Now what is MinGW doing there? Why should I use MinGW in Linux, isn't it something for Windows to offer a shell similar to the one in Linux?

2: "Then build the same version of Qt for Linux - you will need the tools (qmake, uic, moc, etc.). "
    What is meant by "build the same version of Qt"? Is it just download Qt (like from: http://qt-project.org/downloads) for Linux? Why would I then need these tools?

3: "You will need the include and library files of Qt for compiling and linking, so if you built Qt on Windows: either mount the Windows disk on Linux or copy the full tree over to your Linux disk. It is not recommended to mix the directories."
    "if you built Qt on Windows" -> does this refer to 1, when I precompiled the application or something else?
    "mount the Windows disk on Linux " -> What is meant here? Shall I insert the Windows installation disk to my Linux-PC? And then do what?
    "or copy the full tree over to your Linux disk" -> Which tree?

These spots I just don't understand I hope someone can explain them a bit better, then this tutorial.
    Thanks to all who try.

Best regards
    mergele

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Deployment Linux Tutorial Tanslation for Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mergele View Post
    could someone please translate this tutorial for me to "new-to-linux-and-qt",
    Most likely... no. If you're new to Qt and Linux I would Strongly (with a capital 'S') advise against starting your programming adventures by trying to cross-compile anything. Learn to walk first before you sign up for a marathon.

Now what is MinGW doing there? Why should I use MinGW in Linux, isn't it something for Windows to offer a shell similar to the one in Linux?
    MinGW is a compiler that builds binaries for Windows. If you want to build Windows binaries on Linux, obviously you'll need a compiler capable of doing that which is MinGW that needs to be built for Linux (so that you can execute it there).

What is meant by "build the same version of Qt"? Is it just download Qt (like from: http://qt-project.org/downloads) for Linux? Why would I then need these tools?
    Because qmake, moc and similar tools are to be ran on Linux so you need a version of those for that system. The version should be the same as the version of Qt you're targetting for Windows to avoid compatibility problems.

"if you built Qt on Windows" -> does this refer to 1, when I precompiled the application or something else?
    It refers to building Qt on Windows. For me it's clear and simple. It doesn't say anything about any apps.

"mount the Windows disk on Linux " -> What is meant here? Shall I insert the Windows installation disk to my Linux-PC? And then do what?
    Sorry, this is not a "Linux system for Dummies" site, I won't answer that question as doing it wrong might wreck your Windows drive. Come back after you're able to resolve problems related to using the system you wish to be using. Or better yet forget about cross-compiling binaries on a system you don't know.

"or copy the full tree over to your Linux disk" -> Which tree?
    Qt source/build tree or the whole include/lib tree (but probably the former).

Again, I strongly advise you reconsider what you are trying to do. You will loose a lot of time and a lot of effort and in the end the result will probably not be what you expect it to be. Time and effort-wise in your situation it is cheaper to buy a copy of Windows XP, deploy it on a virtual machine and build your Windows apps there.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt5 Qt/Embedded

Default Re: Deployment Linux Tutorial Tanslation for Newbie

Thank you for your reply, I guess I'll try the virtual machine