Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: how to launch a wizard from the mainwindow's File Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkjag View Post
    Not in this context i just vaguely understand it like in assembly i.e a stack overflow.
    Stack overflow has nothing to do with memory leaks.

What object is causing the leak and in what file should i delete it??
    http://lmgtfy.com?q=memory+leak
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

So i figured that the object causing the memory leak is SkoolCalcWizard wizard but i don't understand why cause i already replaced the pointer notation with the normal object declaration in #3.

And i do use the object by calling show or return since i have already used both of these functions and they both make my program vanish.

So i'd like if you could spell it out for me like explicitly.
    Last edited by pkjag; 5th September 2013 at 16:27.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

So i figured that the object causing the memory leak is SkoolCalcWizard wizard but i don't understand why cause i already replaced the pointer notation with the normal object declaration in #3.
    ... which causes your code (the second snippet, the first is fine) to fail because of what was posted in #4, #5 and #11.

I told you that your code from post #1 was correct apart the compilation errors and the memory leak. Code from #3 (the second snippet) is invalid because of the variable going out of scope.
    Last edited by wysota; 5th September 2013 at 16:59.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I think i'm starting to get the hang of this memory leak business. They've defined it as allocating memory and refusing to deallocate it or use it later. If you ask me they should've called it memory block, the name's got more sense. So how should i use the allocated memory to do what i want??

But i understand you saying i have a variable that's out of scope means that the wizard object is the variable. And being out of scope when the function ends is saying that the function is show() and because it returns immediately after it schedules an event it ends?? that's the tricky part that my mind can't wrap around.

So what's the difference between code at #1 and the correct code at #3 and which should i use??

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I think i'm starting to get the hang of this memory leak business. They've defined it as allocating memory and refusing to deallocate it or use it later. If you ask me they should've called it memory block, the name's got more sense.
    I don't know who is "they" but this looks like a "memory leak" and not a "memory block" to me:

Qt Code:
    1. for(int i=0;i<100;++i) new char[1000];
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

So how should i use the allocated memory to do what i want??
    I don't have the slightest idea what you mean.

But i understand you saying i have a variable that's out of scope means that the wizard object is the variable. And being out of scope when the function ends is saying that the function is show() and because it returns immediately after it schedules an event it ends?? that's the tricky part that my mind can't wrap around.
    By the variable going out of scope I mean exactly what is meant in C/C++ when saying about variables going out of scope.

So what's the difference between code at #1 and the correct code at #3 and which should i use??
    Read my posts again, please. I really don't want to repeat myself again. I'm assuming you have some decent C++ skills so you should be able to handle that yourself. If not, maybe it's time to do some reading on C++. Qt really has nothing to do with this.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I do understand C++ but you are being too vague. What variable is out of what function's scope?? since there are two functions there, show() and newFile(). You mentioned i have a memory leak problem but you haven't showed me how i fix that hence my question how i should use the allocated memory thats causing the leak. You previously mentioned sonething along the lines of slots and signals, i've about a months worth experience with Qt and i don't know how to use them in this situation. I don't know why its so difficult for you to help me with this memory leak situation.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I do understand C++ but you are being too vague. What variable is out of what function's scope??
    If you understood C++ you wouldn't be asking that question.

Qt Code:
    1. int func() {
    2. A a;
    3. }

In the code above local variable "a" goes out of scope (its own scope, as in "it dies") when "func" function returns as the stack unwinds destroying all local variables.

You mentioned i have a memory leak problem but you haven't showed me how i fix
    I did:
    Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Delete the object causing the leak once you don't need it anymore or use some mechanism (like Qt's parent-child relationship or the signal-slot mechanism together with deleteLater() slot) that will do that for you.
    that hence my question how i should use the allocated memory thats causing the leak.
    Use it any way you want. The point is to seal the leak (aka delete the object) once you are done using it. That's really one of the most basic things in C++ and I'm sure that if you spent at least 10 hours learning that language, you should have been taught (or learnt yourself) to clean up memory once you are finished using it.

You previously mentioned sonething along the lines of slots and signals, i've about a months worth experience with Qt and i don't know how to use them in this situation. I don't know why its so difficult for you to help me with this memory leak situation.
    You don't need any Qt experience for that. Here is an example:

Leak:
    Qt Code:
    1. class A {
    2. public:
    3. A() { m_var = 0; }
    4. void func() { m_var = new B; }
    5. private:
    6. B *m_var;
    7. };

No leak:
    Qt Code:
    1. class A {
    2. public:
    3. A() { m_var = 0; }
    4. ~A() { delete m_var; }
    5. void func() { m_var = new B; }
    6. private:
    7. B *m_var;
    8. };

Another example:

Leak:
    Qt Code:
    1. class A {
    2. public:
    3. A() {}
    4. void func() { B *var = new B; var->doSomething(); /* var not needed anymore */ }
    5. };

No leak:
    Qt Code:
    1. class A {
    2. public:
    3. A() { }
    4. void func() { B var; var.doSomething(); /* var not needed anymore */ }
    5. };

And another example, this time using Qt's facilities:

Leak:
    Qt Code:
    1. class A : public QObject {
    2. public:
    3. A(QObject *parent =0) : QObject(parent) { }
    4. void func() { B *var = new B; }
    5. };

No leak:
    Qt Code:
    2. public:
    4. void func() { B *var = new B(this); }
    5. };

And one more:

Leak:
    Qt Code:
    1. class A {
    2. public:
    3. A() { }
    5. };

No leak:
    Qt Code:
    1. class A {
    2. public:
    3. A() { }
    4. void func() { B *var = new B; var->deleteLater(); }
    5. };

And yet another one:

Leak:
    Qt Code:
    2. public:
    5. };

No leak:
    Qt Code:
    2. public:
    4. void func() {
    5. B *var = new B(this);
    6. connect(var, SIGNAL(finishedIamNotUsedAnymore()), var, SLOT(deleteLater()));
    7. }
    8. };

Let me spell it out again for you: fixing memory leaks means freeing up heap memory before you lose the last handle to that memory (using whatever mechanism you have at hand -- the delete operator, smart pointers or some kind of deferred deletion). This is basic C++ stuff and there are zillons or webpages mentioning "memory leaks" and instructions how to seal them, if in your prior programming education you have not encountered that term.

Up till now I was assuming you had programming skills, that's why I was telling you "fix the memory leak" and not "please delete the variable you are not using anymore and remember to always free up memory you are not using anymore". Apparently that was my mistake... I guess we have both learned something here.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

At last it worked!!!!
    Thanks guys, especially wysota for being patient with me!!!'