Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Compiling with Qmake/Make

Quote Originally Posted by VireX View Post
    When I use mingw32-make, it gives me a few hundred errors, which i cant even scroll up to.
    Redirect output to a file. I can't tell you exact syntax needed for cmd.exe, but the simplest you might try is just "mingw32-make > filename". It depends if make (or maybe rather the compiler) outputs errors to stdout or stderr. If the latter, you need to find out how to redirect stderr to a file (in bash it'd be "make 2> filename").

But they involve stupid things like vector.tcc: size_type unknown bla bla... and finds compiling errors all over the Qt source itself, basically says QtGUI and QtCore are just bad code...
    These errors are caused by the compiler trying to recover from previous errors. You always need to see the first error. But in this case we're all pretty sure the problem is with the specs.

As a last resort you might try to install Qt again, it should ask you to point to the mingw compiler (at least I remember so, but I can be mistaken here) so point it to the one you use on a daily basis.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

C and C++ are the same language because C++ INCLUDES EVERYTHING C HAS.
    This only means that C++ is backwards compatible with C.

But they involve stupid things like vector.tcc: size_type unknown
    vector.tcc is a part of STL, not Qt. If you are including any system or STL headers in your sources, try moving appropriate #include directives below those with Qt headers, so that Qt headers are included first, but since you can compile you project manually this probably won't make any difference.

What does "echo %QMAKESPEC%" output? What does "Qt 4.x.y Command Prompt" writes when it starts? Did you try running qmake and make from it?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

echo %QMAKESPEC%
    %QMAKESPEC%
    So it is not set... i guess

As for mingw32-make > filename I had done this weeks ago, it only prints out the makefile, it doesn't print the errorsi nto the file, otherwise i would have posted it...

As far as the comment about frustration, I understand frustration when learning a new language and not knowing how to do certain things, or having some sort of access violation that you can't find in 30,000 lines of code... that I have patience for. I don't have patience for GUI libraries that should have made everything as simple as possible, as OO as possible, to somehow make a simple thing as signals/slots as complicated as they have, especially when you're the one spending 3 hours trying to figure out why qmake doesn't work, or spending days and days posting topics and not being able to fix the problem, or before that, trying to figure out what the hell a linker error like "vtable" etc is... You may think i sound angry/frustrated in my writing, but i'm not really that mad, it's just the way i was typing, because i was slightly annoyed. And the comments/arguments about C++ and C being completely different languages, and I pitty the fool who thinks they are completely different languages. It's clearly the same language, because C++ is backwards compatible, and C++ is an EXTENSION to C, it is not a different language, because most people that know C can easily figure out C++ in a matter of hours... Delphi and C++ are different languages, so stop arguing because you're wrong. This is like saying Age of Empires II, and Age of Empires II: The conquerors are two different games, they are EXPANSIONS, they have completely different things, but they are the same game, so no point in making this circular debate on something you know you're wrong in. Also just cuz i said, "it doesn't work" or "this is crap" or whatever, doesn't mean i'm mad or I think it's worthless...

As far as, me annoying the people trying to help me, in their own time, I greatly appreciate them, but trust me, I have helped thousands of people on other subjects too. But I never insulted them or showed them any disrespect, only debated wysota, which is fun .

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

echo %QMAKESPEC%
    %QMAKESPEC%
    Hmm... if it wasn't set, qmake should complain about it... there is something wrong here.

it only prints out the makefile,
    What does it mean?

it doesn't print the errorsi nto the file, otherwise i would have posted it...
    You have to redirect stderr then... Maybe even mingw32-make has a commandline option for doing that on its own?

I don't have patience for GUI libraries that should have made everything as simple as possible, as OO as possible, to somehow make a simple thing as signals/slots as complicated as they have
    Could you please state what is so complicated and not object oriented?

especially when you're the one spending 3 hours trying to figure out why qmake doesn't work, or spending days and days posting topics and not being able to fix the problem,
    I think we told you what's wrong at the very beginning...

or before that, trying to figure out what the hell a linker error like "vtable" etc is...
    Hmm... I'm sorry, but if you say you don't know what vtable is, I'm starting to doubt in your understanding of C++.

And the comments/arguments about C++ and C being completely different languages, and I pitty the fool who thinks they are completely different languages. It's clearly the same language, because C++ is backwards compatible, and C++ is an EXTENSION to C, it is not a different language, because most people that know C can easily figure out C++ in a matter of hours... Delphi and C++ are different languages, so stop arguing because you're wrong.
    Somehow these arguments don't convince me. C++ is not fully backward compatible with C (type casting, implicit function declarations, implicit return types, probably more) and C++ is definitely not an extension to C (it just evolved from C, it's just like you'd say that crocodile is an extension to a dinosaur). If you want to discuss C++ to be a fully qualified language or not, please contact the author of the language or the comitee responsible for creating standards for the language.

And the argument about C and C++ being the same language because one can easily figure out C++ once knowing C (which is obviously not true in general as it is easier to learn C++ not knowing C) is well.... silly... One can easily figure out javascript once knowing C, because in most cases they have the same (or simmilar) syntax, but I doubt you'd say they are the same language.

And knowing C++ I can easily figure out Python or Java, but I wouldn't consider them the same languages.

Also just cuz i said, "it doesn't work" or "this is crap" or whatever, doesn't mean i'm mad or I think it's worthless...
    Try to restrain yourself from using terms that may be considered otherwise then...

As far as, me annoying the people trying to help me
    Just for the record, I don't know how about others, but you're not annoying me. I can endlessly continue such discussions also being emotional, but it's the way I am. Just please don't judge tools, architectures or algoritms (or any other methodology) just because you don't understand them or because they don't work as you'd expect them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

echo %QMAKESPEC%
    %QMAKESPEC%
    Then set it to win32-g++. What about that "Qt Command Prompt"?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    Hmm... if it wasn't set, qmake should complain about it... there is something wrong here.
    If QMAKESPEC is not set, then qmake will use the default. I believe this is compiled into qmake at build time. The default is whatever qt was built with.

Which brings up an important piece of advice: Always make sure the Qt libs and the QMAKESPEC match. You will run into untold linking problems if you use a win32-g++ QMAKESPEC with a Qt build for win32-msvc. If you are going to be using different compilers, you will undoubtedly need separate Qt installs. The reason is that the C++ ABI is not standardized.