Thread: Qt Standalone Application Static Linking?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Qt Standalone Application Static Linking?

Hello,

I am trying to get Qt to statically link libraries so that I can make a standalone application. I have followed various tutorials on how to build Qt statically then building a static application but I am not having much luck. I believe I have succesfully built Qt with static linking because the application has grown in size from 79KB to 7+MB but I am still getting errors saying QtCore4.dll and QtSerialPort.dll are missing. Also, another issue I'm having when using this static configuration, which isn't too serious, is that when I close my program Windows thinks it has crashed and gives me a window saying MyProgram.exe has stopped working...

I am on a Windows machine using MSVC 2010 with Qt 4.8.5 and am using the third party library QtSerialPort.

What I've done accoring to the guides I've been reading is:

Download and extract qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.5.zip Open /mkspec/mwin32-msvc2010/qmake.conf and change the follwing lines to

CONFIG += qt warn_on release incremental flat link_prl precompile_header autogen_precompile_source copy_dir_files debug_and_release debug_and_release_target

and

QMAKE_CLFAGS_RELEASE = -O2 -MT

I then open the MSVC2010 command prompt and cd to this . I then enter the commands

configure -static -release -platform win32-msvc2010
    nmake sub-src

After this is done I open my project and add

CONFIG += static

to the .pro file. In QtCreator I then go into Projects, Manage Kits then to Qt Versions and browse to the qMake I just generated. I add a new Kit with this version of qMake. I then clean all and switch to this new kit and run qmake from QtCreator. I then use msvc2010 command prompt to go to the directory where the files are generated and then

nmake release

This generates a rather large .exe but like I said, it's still depending on a couple .dll's.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Qt Standalone Application Static Linking?

You need to build a static version of QtSerialPort also (if possible) because your program is currently linked to the dynamic library and it is linked to the dynamic Qt4.