Thread: "Controls - Gallery Example" - huge memory usage

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default "Controls - Gallery Example" - huge memory usage

I'm new her so hello to everybody

I'm from Germany (so sorry for my bad English) and working with QT for two years on very small applications.

At the moment I evaluate Qt Quick, so I checked the "Controls - Gallery" example. I was shocked because the example uses over 100MB of RAM on my Windows 7 x64 PC

Is this normal that Qt Quick uses that much RAM for such a small example application? I don't think that I have done something wrong (memory leaks or something else) because I didn't touch the code of the example.

Greetings from Germany
    Julian

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default Re: "Controls - Gallery Example" - huge memory usage

It is probably less than your browser was using while creating this topic
    Why does this bother you ? Are you experiencing some kind of performance issue, or does your app must satisfy some memory constraints ?
    I'm not a QtQuick expert (or even user), but if you think it is something specific to QtQuick, try to create similar application with standard Qt classes and compare the memory usage of both apps.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android

First, thank you for your answere

Quote Originally Posted by stampede View Post
    Why does this bother you ? Are you experiencing some kind of performance issue, or does your app must satisfy some memory constraints ?
    The application will run on mobile plattforms and the RPi. So memory consumpation is a topic for me. And if I see that a simple GUI Demo uses more than 100MB of memory, how much memory would a big GUI consume? On the other hand I must say that the performance of the GUI was very very impressiv.
    Does somebdy have links to big applications using Qt Quick for the GUI? I'm very interessting in the perfomance and memory consumpation of this applications. Sadly I didn't find one

Quote Originally Posted by stampede View Post
    I'm not a QtQuick expert (or even user), but if you think it is something specific to QtQuick, try to create similar application with standard Qt classes and compare the memory usage of both apps.
    I have testesd all Widget based example delieverd with QT Creator, and nearly all of them consume less than 20MB of memory.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

The memory size Windows reports includes all the requisite Qt/other libraries mapped into the process memory space (regardless of whether they are shared with other processes). If you have a debug version then the libraries are much larger.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW67 View Post
    The memory size Windows reports includes all the requisite Qt/other libraries mapped into the process memory space (regardless of whether they are shared with other processes). If you have a debug version then the libraries are much larger.
    I don't use the debug version of the library

Can somebody share their experience with applications created with Qt Quick?