Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [DevQt] New versions, feature requests and bug reports

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: [DevQt] New versions, feature requests and bug reports

thanks for your interest! I'll try to fix them all!

elcuco's kindness has no limits : he's gonna open a project on SF.net or Berlios because, for some reasons I can't do it on my own. That'll give us a better framework to speed up the developpement process.

I've no code to post today but I'm working on the project handling, damn progress : scopes are now understood and functions skipped

as soon as I'll get the project working I'll start compilation process stuff and post a version with as many fixes as possible.
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: new highlighter

Quote Originally Posted by michel
    It depends. I also made a syntax highlighter using regexp strings for practice (I don't know regexp very well and needed an excuse to learn it) with a text editor I made in Qt3 when I first began to learn the library, and when typing code in manually or opening from a file there is no noticable difference in human time from the one I made using while loops and if-else statements. The only trouble is if you be evil and copy a large amount of code into the clipboard and then hold down the Ctrl+V keys for about ten seconds to paste it all over and over again a lot. Then the program freezes for about fifteen seconds before displaying anything DDD. Probably for formatting a large input filestream the difference isn't so bad (so it depends if you want easy-to-read code from using the regexp or two hundred lines of loops and if statements--look at devqt's code for highlighting, for example, it works but it's a mess--whereas my regexp highlighter practice was maybe twenty lines, and if there was something wrong with how it was reading it I could just edit the string holding the pattern instead of weaving through all the branches) but for real-time highlighting of keyboard input the lexical analyzation is definitely the way to go. You know, it's funny. Such an awful lot of work for what seems like such a trivial feature of the IDE. You practically have to write half a C++ compiler just to pretty print the code. I'm having similar issues with another project I am working on in my spare time. It is a frontend for editing qmake files. It is no problem when the project file is straightforward, but now I have two lexical analyzers to make. One is to reimplement my syntax highlighter for the scripting style used by qmake (one of the tabs lets you edit the raw file instead of using the interface), the other is to handle all of the nesting and scopes within the project file and display the hierarchies correctly in the frontend's widgets. The first is much much easier (for me, at least) than the second.
    Ok, as I'm creating a new editor for C++ codes too, I do a lot of tests between RegExp and Lexical aproachs, let me share here what I discovery:

With RegExp proach what the QSyntaxHinghlighter do is to take every RegExp and see if the actual line matches to it, if match, coloring if not, pass to the next RegExp and check the entire text again, no mather if it founds any parts before.

As you can see, a lexical aproach avoid unnecessary check to the actual text and is that the reason that your code freezes a little when you paste a lot of text, and has more, if you had about 10Kloc to highlight (what is not unusual) if your editor has to repaind the entire screen, the highlight with RegExp will make your editor unusable.
    Well, at least to me the beneficies of lexical aproach justify the hard work to implement it!
    --
    Thiago dos Santos Alves
    Computer Scientist

thiago.salves@gmail.com
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "A mind that opens to a new idea never gets its original size again."
    - Albert Einstein

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalcoder
    thanks for your interest! I'll try to fix them all! :D

elcuco's kindness has no limits : he's gonna open a project on SF.net or Berlios because, for some reasons I can't do it on my own. That'll give us a better framework to speed up the developpement process.

I've no code to post today but I'm working on the project handling, damn progress : scopes are now understood and functions skipped

as soon as I'll get the project working I'll start compilation process stuff and post a version with as many fixes as possible.
    Will your new version fix the syntax highlighter yet? I was going to post a modification to devhighlighter.cpp because the one from your latest zip file doesn't handle backslashes in preprocessor directives, but of course, now that it does handle them, the way your loops are set up it is not easy to check for a line that has both a backslash and a comment. It's rather simple. In your if loop for c=='#' just do an indexOf search for "\\" and if found set the state to preprocessor, and in your switch (previousBlockState()) - case statement at the top of the function put something like

Qt Code:
    1. case preprocessor :
    2. i = text.indexOf("\\");
    3. if (i != -1)
    4. {
    5. setFormat(0, i+1, fmts[preprocessor]);
    6. return preprocessor;
    7. }
    8. setFormat(0, len, fmts[preprocessor]);
    9. return normal;
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

I haven't done a lot of error checking but it seems to work fine for things like

Qt Code:
    1. #define THIS "that" \
    2. "plus this" \
    3. "plus that"
    4. int main(){ printf(THIS); }....blahblah...

In your old version only the first line would be green whereas all three lines which are part of the preprocessing should be.

Don't know if your comments scanner bothers to check for /* */ comments after the backslash, but it should be easy to implement. And you don't have to worry about the C++ style // comments after a backslash, because afaik they aren't legal to use in this syntax anyway and the compiler will complain about it.

ok going to bed. bbl
    My philosophy is: If you can use a free, open-source alternative: do it. And if you can't, pretend it's free and open-source and hope you don't get caught.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Not really a new release... but...

I have opened a site on berlios for this project. FMC and a few others already have write access to the SVN.

I would like to try the berlios forums for development communication, but IMHO, they are just lame. We will try it for a while, and if it does not work, we can still abuse this site (thanks!)

The site for this project is available at:
    http://devqt.berlios.de/

We already have some downloads, check the download link on that site.

The development forum is at:
    http://developer.berlios.de/forum/fo...forum_id=18460

Thanks for all that have been helping us with this project!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I downloarded the 0.1.0.zip and compiled.
    This is the result on my linux qt 4.1 machine when trying to run it.

Qt Code:
    1. $ ./devqt
    2. Segmentation fault

Dang!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Morea
    I downloarded the 0.1.0.zip and compiled.
    This is the result on my linux qt 4.1 machine when trying to run it.

Qt Code:
    1. $ ./devqt
    2. Segmentation fault

Dang!
    Wysota has already explained how to get rid of that AFAIK.

The embarrassing stuff pointed out by that stupid bug is that Qt doesn't behave the same on every system : on my Athlon 1,4GHz, 512Mb SDRAM, GeForce 2 MX400, Win ME (I know my config sucks but that's not the point!) no bug occured.

Anyway it has been removed but, I'm damn sorry, I can't post the last version here because the zipfile is 150kb while the limits set by the admins is 100kb!!!
    So, if you want to keep updated you've got to visit http://devqt.berlios.de

Due to my 56kb internet connection and the troubles I get building an SVN client I can't post the code on my own so you also have to wait for elcuco doing it (I seny him the source a few minutes ago...)

7. The following 2 users say thank you to fullmetalcoder for this useful post:

incapacitant (2nd March 2006), Morea (24th February 2006)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

The embarrassing stuff pointed out by that stupid bug is that Qt doesn't behave the same on every system : on my Athlon 1,4GHz, 512Mb SDRAM, GeForce 2 MX400, Win ME (I know my config sucks but that's not the point!) no bug occured.
    It's not Qt. It's C++ and I can't believe you were able to dereference a random pointer on your system everytime you started the application

Anyway it has been removed but, I'm damn sorry, I can't post the last version here because the zipfile is 150kb while the limits set by the admins is 100kb!!!
    AFAIK the limit was changed to 300kB. Besides, you can always send a patch (diff) or only upload modified files. Using some better compressor than zip or reducing the size of icons is also an option.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by wysota
    It's not Qt. It's C++ and I can't believe you were able to dereference a random pointer on your system everytime you started the application
    As weird as it can seem it worked! And it comes from Qt because it's Qt that used the non initialized pointer, not my app!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wysota
    AFAIK the limit was changed to 300kB. Besides, you can always send a patch (diff) or only upload modified files. Using some better compressor than zip or reducing the size of icons is also an option.
    That's right damn it!!! (sorry, private joke...)
    I didn't noticed, thanks a lot!!!

What about a better compressor? I tried .rar but it only saved a few kb and not everybody has a decompressor for .rar files
    BTW if you know a better, and as universal, compressor please tell me!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

What about putting new versions on berlios.de more often?
    Then posting links from here to berlios?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Well 0.2.1 (or 0.2.0 as the app called it self, or 0 as the resulting file is called ) looks promising.

One question though, will I be able to compile a single C++ file and run it, like a hello world program or should everything be in projects?

I will try to use it more as soon as I can change the font size in the editing window to something that is 400% larger. (on my linux box)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

As weird as it can seem it worked! And it comes from Qt because it's Qt that used the non initialized pointer, not my app!!!
    It is your app which passes an invalid pointer to Qt routines, Qt just dereferences it using C++ "->" operator, so it is strictly a C++ issue. If you had zeroed the pointer at the beginning of the constructor, like you should, Qt would behave correctly (but with an unexpected result).

What about a better compressor? I tried .rar but it only saved a few kb and not everybody has a decompressor for .rar files
    BTW if you know a better, and as universal, compressor please tell me!
    Use bzip2. It has much better compression ratios than zip. Or tune the zip compressor to use the best strength available. And reduce the size of images. You can get rid of that .qm file too. It can be generated during compilation from .ts file.
    Last edited by wysota; 24th February 2006 at 12:11.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Morea
    Well 0.2.1 (or 0.2.0 as the app called it self, or 0 as the resulting file is called ) looks promising.

One question though, will I be able to compile a single C++ file and run it, like a hello world program or should everything be in projects?

I will try to use it more as soon as I can change the font size in the editing window to something that is 400% larger. (on my linux box)
    Sorry, compilation isn't implemented yet but single file comilation will be possible.
    It will come with version 0.3.x!

Font settings should come soon but, well, they're not the part I'm focused on!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

I tested DevQt and found a small bug for the Explorer window (devdoc.cpp). Is it better to send a patch file or do you prefer to get these things here? In this case it was a tiny fix but what if I have more fixes? I've registred on BerliOS so that I now have the possibility to add patches (user KjellKod)

Anyhow: If explorer window was moved & docked to the right, and you then chose "Place on right" the (right click in explorer top) then you got both "Place on right" and "Place on left" as active, ref: attached picture. Fix: in the DevDoc constructor
    Qt Code:
    1. if ( area & 3 )
    2. {
    3. allowedAreasActions->addAction(allowLeftAction);
    4. allowedAreasActions->addAction(allowRightAction);
    5. areaActions->addAction(leftAction);
    6. areaActions->addAction(rightAction);
    7. leftAction->setChecked(true); // This line is new. Setting default

It seems that the automatic 'Place on right', 'Place on left' when moving and docking the explorer does not work but I have not looked at why yet. This post is more of a test for me to get into the Open Source way of thinking since I am yet not part of any project
    Attached Images Attached Images

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

There are quite a few bugs in the menus and action options, afaict. For example, Close All doesn't close projects, Save All is an enabled option in the File menu even if nothing is open in the workspace or editor (it's enabled even when you first run the program), and there's a few other bugs that I commented on in the BerliOS forum for the project.
    My philosophy is: If you can use a free, open-source alternative: do it. And if you can't, pretend it's free and open-source and hope you don't get caught.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Send unified patches (diff -u) to the patches section of the site. No direct link as of today, but I will do my best to add direct links to the pacthes page supplied by Berlios. (goto the download page, and then choose the patches link)

Please run the svn from the root of the project, is possible from an svn checkout.

BTW:
    Mandrake sux, Galaxy more

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

I have downloaded 0.2.1 and made vc project file from .pro file. When i compile the whole thing i get an error message which says that QtGuid.lib was not found. My lib folder contains QtGuid4.lib and not the one mentioned above. I tried renaming the file and also changing the properties of the project, but both did not help.

Can someone pls help me get this running?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Are you using Qt4? it seems like you are trying to compile against Qt3.

P.S.
    Check the svn trunk, we fixed some oopses.

Quote Originally Posted by munna
    Hi,

I have downloaded 0.2.1 and made vc project file from .pro file. When i compile the whole thing i get an error message which says that QtGuid.lib was not found. My lib folder contains QtGuid4.lib and not the one mentioned above. I tried renaming the file and also changing the properties of the project, but both did not help.

Can someone pls help me get this running?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I checked my project properties and path. They all have the path C:\Qt\4.1.0\.. The problem is that i have QtGuid4.lib and QtCored4.lib int my lib folder whereas the project while compiling is trying to search QtGuid.lib and QtCored.lib.

Pls help

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

you are trying to link a debug version of the libraries.

remove debug from the *.pro file, or rebuild qt4 with debug information.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Post Re: [DevQt] New versions, feature requests and bug reports

Hi fullmetalcoder,

I quickly went through this thread and tested DevQt myself.
    Your project looks very promissing !!

My first suggestion would be to separate the *.ccp, *.h and *.ui files
    on the workspace filebrowser

I also noticed a problem when double clicking on a file of this workspace it is opened in the main window. If you then close this window (of the just opened file) and double click again on the same file in the workspace: DevQt will crash instead of opening the file again. (tested several times and easy to reproduce).

Something else:
    What about merging seneca's QSA script programming IDE with DevQt IDE ?

Daniel
    Last edited by Dwarf007; 6th March 2006 at 09:21.