Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [DevQt] New versions, feature requests and bug reports

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Bumblebees on the road again!

Quote Originally Posted by I
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesar
    Have you taken a look at my fixed version?
    I'm gonna do it ASAP!
    Yep I did it! Nice trick for the dialogs!!! I now use it for the replace dialog as well.

I had a look at the Changelog and, well.. it's quite confusing!!!
    Where are your fixes of :
    - cursor mess
    - various memory leak

Anyway, thanks a lot! Dialogs needed not to be modals and I would have never thought to do it as you did (it's the smallest, fastest and the most elegant way possible )

Quote Originally Posted by Cesar
    Consider me joined the team
    Hey buddy! What are you doing? Members of a team are supposed to share ideas or to work on the project!

edit:
    2 admins : how do you decide to make a thread "sticky"? And why especially this one?
    Last edited by fullmetalcoder; 15th February 2006 at 09:31.
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Ok guys, next version is coming soon (tomorrow or Saturday actually)
    Changes :
    - added Insert / Overwrite key handling for the edit widget
    - added a corner widget for the tab widget :
    • '+' icon creates a new empty editor
    • '-' icon closes the current editor
    - fixed highlighting troubles (number inside variable names, hash inside single quote, number or letter befor comments)
    - improved .pro handling
    - changed the behaviour and content of the status bar, 6 widgets :
    • general purpose
    • text cursor position
    • mouse cursor position
    • document state (modified or not)
    • Insert/Overwrite mode
    • number of lines in file

- fixed undo/redo (removed highlighting of errors and breakpoints because bugged undo/redo...)
    - and more...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Waiting impatiently

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

1. IMHO DevQT is enough. DevQT++ is unnecessary.

2. Wishlist: Code completion, a la VB6 (maybe after that too, never saw it). When an object's name is typed followed by . or ->, bring up a combobox of applicable member functions etc -- you know VB6... If I start typing QVB then it must complete the rest -- QVBoxLayout.

3. It must correct the case itself -- both for classes and variabled -- VB6 does that. (Of course, everyone here realizes that just because something is there in an MS product does not mean it's intrinsically bad...)

4. One particular code completion is, when the user has typed QPushButton quit = new -- the IDE must fill in the next word which is always QPushButton and add a (, perhaps even a () while placing the cursor between the parantheses.

5. I hope to see DevQT develop into a big app soon, though I lack the programming knowledge to contribute to it!
    Last edited by jamadagni; 17th February 2006 at 09:19.
    Penguin #395953 using Qt for open-source development on X11 using C++ and
    Python via PyQt

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Post Re: Bumblebees on the road again!

Quote Originally Posted by jamadagni
    2. Wishlist: Code completion, a la VB6 (maybe after that too, never saw it). When an object's name is typed followed by . or ->, bring up a combobox of applicable member functions etc -- you know VB6... If I start typing QVB then it must complete the rest -- QVBoxLayout.
    That would be really great We're open to suggestions of implementation algorythms
    3. It must correct the case itself -- both for classes and variabled -- VB6 does that. (Of course, everyone here realizes that just because something is there in an MS product does not mean it's intrinsically bad...)
    Won't do. AKAIK, VB is case insensitive, whilst C++ is not. That's why no case correction should take place.
    4. One particular code completion is, when the user has typed QPushButton quit = new -- the IDE must fill in the next word which is always QPushButton and add a (, perhaps even a () while placing the cursor between the parantheses.
    Won't do. Consider the following example:
    Qt Code:
    1. class MyPushButton : public QPushButton {
    2. //...
    3. };
    4. QPushButton *b = new MyPushButton();
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    5. I hope to see DevQT develop into a big app soon, though I lack the programming knowledge to contribute to it!
    Either do I Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Guys, one remark --- Are you talking about "Qt" or "QT"? Because the latter has nothing to do with this site And I see you want to name the application DevQT.

BTW, this is wrong:
    What about constructions like the following:
    Qt Code:
    Last edited by wysota; 17th February 2006 at 11:22.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

QPushButton *b = new MyPushButton();
    1. Why don't you declare it as MyPushButton *b = new MyPushButton(); ?
    2. So long as QPu is autocompleted as QPushButton I don't have a problem with this idea being rejected!
    Penguin #395953 using Qt for open-source development on X11 using C++ and
    Python via PyQt

Default new highlighter

i try rewrite old Qt3 syntaxhighlighter
    with new libraries

take a look
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hz; 17th February 2006 at 13:56.
    Cut and Run

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: new highlighter

Quote Originally Posted by Hz
    i try rewrite old Qt3 syntaxhighlighter
    with new libraries

take a look
    This is FullMetalCoder 's code, which is borrowed from QSA.

Why do I have the feeling like most codes we see on this thread are "way too similar"?

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco

Why do I have the feeling like most codes we see on this thread are "way too similar"?
    its code from qt3 text editor - i just correct a little function "process()" in FullMetalCoder 's code
    Last edited by Hz; 17th February 2006 at 14:17.
    Cut and Run

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

1. Why don't you declare it as MyPushButton *b = new MyPushButton(); ?
    QPushbutton *b = new MyPushButton(); creates a new QPushbutton called b and assigns it a pointer to memory containing an instance of MyPushButton(). But now it is also possible later to change b to point to an instance of MyOtherPushButton or any other subclass of QPushButton.

If you were to try

Qt Code:
    1. MyPushButton *b = new MyPushButton();

and then later

Qt Code:
    1. b = new MyOtherPushButton();

you would get an "invalid conversion from type x to type y" error. The way you are wanting to write it is fine for most things. But to say the IDE must autocomplete this type of statement would be for it to make unnecessary guesses and handholding for the programmer.
    My philosophy is: If you can use a free, open-source alternative: do it. And if you can't, pretend it's free and open-source and hope you don't get caught.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco

Becouse this is the best way to implement a highlight. If you use QRegExp like syntaxhighlight exemple your code will be very slow. So its better to use a compiler aproach like in the lex analizers.

By the way, I'm working on a powerfull C++ editor, its not an IDE and I think you guys will like, some features that it will have:

* Multiline edit;
    * Persistent selection;
    * Split views;
    * Icon pannel (with an overview pannel to);
    * Line numbers;
    * Code collapse (folding);
    * Parentesis match;
    * Auto complete to open parentesis, quote, brackets, etc.;

Perhaps could be used by FullMetalCoder's IDE

As I'm without computer at home, the development is slow, becouse I can program only here at work after the expedient.
    --
    Thiago dos Santos Alves
    Computer Scientist

thiago.salves@gmail.com
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "A mind that opens to a new idea never gets its original size again."
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: [DevQt] Team & project management

How nice!!! 3 sticky thread dedicaced to our project!!! Thanks a lot to the admins!

Here is the new version I was talking about! Check out Changelog.txt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Townk
    Becouse this is the best way to implement a highlight. If you use QRegExp like syntaxhighlight exemple your code will be very slow. So its better to use a compiler aproach like in the lex analizers.

By the way, I'm working on a powerfull C++ editor, its not an IDE and I think you guys will like, some features that it will have:

* Multiline edit;
    * Persistent selection;
    * Split views;
    * Icon pannel (with an overview pannel to);
    * Line numbers;
    * Code collapse (folding);
    * Parentesis match;
    * Auto complete to open parentesis, quote, brackets, etc.;

Perhaps could be used by FullMetalCoder's IDE

As I'm without computer at home, the development is slow, becouse I can program only here at work after the expedient.
    oh dear! don't be silly! sharing knowledge is the best way to learn and the philosophy of Open Source is anything but doing 2 similars projects without any connections!
    I don't mean you should join the project rather than starting your own! Actually if you feel better developping you own project alone it's your choice but, as you said, we'll like the features you want your text editor to provide. So the point is : "why not sharing our view about and implementation of them?"

I hope I managed to convince you...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: [DevQt] New versions, feature requests and bug reports

Two things:
    1. There are two bugs in the archive above which prevent the application from working:
    a) "class DevWorkSpace;" in devgui.h is missing
    b) a segfault on startup occurs, because you create a QMenu object with Editor parent, while Editor (ptr to some object) is still uninitialised. One has to move the statement which assigns an object to Editor before the setupMenu() call.
    2. Why is the minimum width of the main window more than the width of my display (which is 1024x768) ?

Please test your code before posting it.
    Last edited by wysota; 17th February 2006 at 17:28.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I'm trying to build the latest version on windows using ms visual studio and i get QTextBlock errors b/c userData and setUserData are private members.

I also get a few QTreeWidgetItem problems b/c TreeWidgetItem(QTreeWidget *,int) parameter 1 can't take a QString.

Any ideas why I get these issues.

I am using qt4. Is this in qt3?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thumbs up Re: [DevQt] New versions, feature requests and bug reports

fullmetalcoder,

for next versions, can you put the source in the released zip under a directory called "devqt-VERSION"?

This way, I can unzip all of your versions into one dir.

edit,
    I managed to compile the project (the compilation problems are documented on this thread). A few sugestions:

1) The "-" button, should be on the right. As the buttons are too small, one can click the wrong one by mistake. And it shuold use the same pixmap as the toolbar (that X with circle, and not "-").

2) On the "Files" tab, do you really need a top level "Default" item ? this means another click before i can see the project. Another idea, shuold be openning that tree when you load a project.

3) Please add shortcuts to the QActions. Please... otherwise the editor is practically "unusable".

4) The find text should be modaless, I will need to edit text while searching.

5) The Find text dialog. is always on top, which is good. But when the main window looses focus, please hide that window. I am writing on Firefox and the find text from you application is on top

6) The main window does not fit my resolution. I am usign 1280x1024. The editor should work also on 800x600 screens. The problem is in devstatus.cpp, DevStatus:evStatus() - the for loop does l->setFixedWidth().

7) Don't force the usage of Plastique. Respect the desktops settings of users. On MAC, Plastique will look wierd.

8) Goto dialog, please put the buttons on the bottom, not on the side.

9) Dont show the compiler dock by default, until it's usable. It's just taking space on my screen.

10) Session managment needed: please restore the editor configuration when I restart the application.

It does look for for some initial version, but you have a lot of work to do yet

Good job!!!
    Last edited by elcuco; 18th February 2006 at 14:35.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by jnk5y
    I'm trying to build the latest version on windows using ms visual studio and i get QTextBlock errors b/c userData and setUserData are private members.

I also get a few QTreeWidgetItem problems b/c TreeWidgetItem(QTreeWidget *,int) parameter 1 can't take a QString.

Any ideas why I get these issues.

I am using qt4. Is this in qt3?
    The QTreeWidgetItem problem isn't because she is using Qt3, but rather Qt4.1. The
    Qt Code:
    1. QTreeWidgetItem ( const QStringList & strings, int type = Type )
    constructor isn't available in 4.0. I would write a diff patch for you, but at the moment I am compiling Firefox 1.5 and my computer is as slow as an 80 year old brontosaurus who was just made Professor Emeritus of Slowness at Oxford University's Department of Slow Moving Things.

IMO if you want this to be popular, you shouldn't only make it work on the brand newest version of Qt. Qt3 already has an editor, so it isn't a big deal. But at least make it portable to all the existing branches of 4.x. Seeing how many people still use 3, I do not think everybody will switch to developing in 4.1 all at once--especially since without an IDE rapid deployment of a new application is much easier in Qt3 than 4.x. So maybe those people using 4.0 (for example, when the next release of KDE comes out, which I think will be using 4) would like to use your IDE, but won't be able to because they can't even compile it.

But then it is not even working yet, so that is probably a problem to worry about a long time from now.
    My philosophy is: If you can use a free, open-source alternative: do it. And if you can't, pretend it's free and open-source and hope you don't get caught.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by Townk
    It depends. I also made a syntax highlighter using regexp strings for practice (I don't know regexp very well and needed an excuse to learn it) with a text editor I made in Qt3 when I first began to learn the library, and when typing code in manually or opening from a file there is no noticable difference in human time from the one I made using while loops and if-else statements. The only trouble is if you be evil and copy a large amount of code into the clipboard and then hold down the Ctrl+V keys for about ten seconds to paste it all over and over again a lot. Then the program freezes for about fifteen seconds before displaying anything :DDDD. Probably for formatting a large input filestream the difference isn't so bad (so it depends if you want easy-to-read code from using the regexp or two hundred lines of loops and if statements--look at devqt's code for highlighting, for example, it works but it's a mess--whereas my regexp highlighter practice was maybe twenty lines, and if there was something wrong with how it was reading it I could just edit the string holding the pattern instead of weaving through all the branches) but for real-time highlighting of keyboard input the lexical analyzation is definitely the way to go. You know, it's funny. Such an awful lot of work for what seems like such a trivial feature of the IDE. You practically have to write half a C++ compiler just to pretty print the code. I'm having similar issues with another project I am working on in my spare time. It is a frontend for editing qmake files. It is no problem when the project file is straightforward, but now I have two lexical analyzers to make. One is to reimplement my syntax highlighter for the scripting style used by qmake (one of the tabs lets you edit the raw file instead of using the interface), the other is to handle all of the nesting and scopes within the project file and display the hierarchies correctly in the frontend's widgets. The first is much much easier (for me, at least) than the second.
    Last edited by michel; 18th February 2006 at 15:03.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Two bugfixes to your latest version. The first is mentioned already by wysota (but I hadn't read his message so it took me 30 minutes to figure out with gdb why I was getting core dumps on startup before realizing you were trying to run setupMenu() on Editor before initializing it). The second fixes the problem that when you close a file that has been opened, the tab disappears but not the source code. When no files are open the Editor widget shouldn't display anything. Below are my modified lines.

--devgui.cpp---line 51--DevGUI() constructor--
    Qt Code:
    1. Editor = new QTabWidget(this);
    2. Editor->setWindowState(Qt::WindowMaximized);
    3. Editor->setContextMenuPolicy(Qt::CustomContextMenu);
    4. setupMenu();
    5. setupFileActions();
    6. setupEditActions();
    7. //setupTextActions();
    8. setupCompiler();
    9. setupExplorer();

--devgui.cpp---line 602--DevGUI::close()--
    Qt Code:
    1. //Your old function which removes the tab, but not the actual page Editor->removeTab(pos);
    2. delete Editor->widget(pos);

I'll let you know if I see anything else.