In an effort to create a Qt event loop in a separate thread, from within a DLL which is called by a main application written in Java, I have done the following, based on a suggestion I read here at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...qt-application, which works rather well:

Qt Code:
  1. // Define a global namespace. We need to do this because the parameters passed to QCoreApplication
  2. // must have a lifetime exceeding that of the QCoreApplication object
  3. namespace ToolThreadGlobal
  4. {
  5. static int argc = 1;
  6. static char * argv[] = { "MyVirtualMainApplication.exe", NULL };
  7. static QCoreApplication *coreApp = nullptr;
  8. static ToolThread *toolThread = nullptr;
  9. };
  11. //! The ToolThread class differs from a standard QThread only in its run() method
  12. class ToolThread : public QThread
  13. {
  14. //! Override QThread's run() method so that it calls the QCoreApplication's exec() method
  15. //! rather than the QThread's own
  16. void run() { ToolThreadGlobal::coreApp -> exec(); }
  17. };
  19. class ThreadStarter : public QObject
  20. {
  21. Q_OBJECT
  23. public:
  24. //! Constructor
  25. ThreadStarter()
  26. {
  27. // Set up the tool thread:
  28. if (!ToolThreadGlobal::toolThread)
  29. {
  30. ToolThreadGlobal::toolThread = new ToolThread();
  31. connect(ToolThreadGlobal::toolThread, &ToolThread::started,
  32. this, &ThreadStarter::createApplication, Qt::DirectConnection);
  33. // The thread's 'started' event is emitted after the thread is started but
  34. // before its run() method is invoked. By arranging for the createApplication
  35. // subroutine to be called before run(), we ensure that the required QCoreApplication
  36. // object is instantiated *within the thread* before ToolThread's customised run()
  37. // method calls the application's exec() command.
  38. ToolThreadGlobal::toolThread->start();
  39. }
  40. }
  42. //! Destructor
  43. ~ThreadStarter()
  44. {
  45. // Ensure that the thread and the QCoreApplication are cleanly shut down:
  46. ToolThreadGlobal::coreApp -> quit();
  47. delete ToolThreadGlobal::coreApp;
  48. ToolThreadGlobal::coreApp = nullptr;
  49. delete ToolThreadGlobal::toolThread;
  50. ToolThreadGlobal::toolThread = nullptr;
  51. }
  53. //! Function to return a pointer to the actual tool thread:
  54. ToolThread* getThread() const { return ToolThreadGlobal::toolThread; }
  56. private:
  57. //! Create the QCoreApplication that will provide the tool thread's event loop
  58. /*! This subroutine is intended to be called from the tool thread itself as soon
  59.   as the thread starts up.
  60.   */
  61. void createApplication()
  62. {
  63. // Start the QCoreApplication event loop, so long as no other Qt event loop
  64. // is already running
  65. if (QCoreApplication::instance() == NULL)
  66. {
  67. ToolThreadGlobal::coreApp = new QCoreApplication(ToolThreadGlobal::argc,
  68. ToolThreadGlobal::argv);
  69. }
  70. }
  71. };
To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

To use this, a subroutine called from the main Java applications’ thread just needs to create a ThreadStarter object
which will automatically create a ToolThread with a QCoreApplication running inside it:

Qt Code:
  1. itsThreadStarter = new ThreadStarter();
  2. itsToolThread = itsThreadStarter -> getThread();

We can then instantiate a QObject class in the usual way, move it to the thread and call its methods asynchronously using QMetaObject::invokeMethod:

Qt Code:
  1. itsWorker = new Worker();
  2. itsWorker -> moveToThread(itsToolThread);
  4. QMetaObject::invokeMethod(itsWorker, “doSomethingInteresting”);

When we’re done, we just delete the ThreadStarter object and everything is cleaned up nicely. Apart from the annoying message saying

WARNING: QApplication was not created in the main() thread

on startup, it seems to meet all my requirements.

Except… (and here, at last, is my question).

Occasionally - and without any pattern that I’ve been able to discern so far - I get an error during the shutdown process. Usually it occurs at the line

Qt Code:
  1. delete ToolThreadGlobal::coreApp;

but sometimes at the line

Qt Code:
  1. ToolThreadGlobal::coreApp -> exec();

(which of course is executed in the thread’s run() method and doesn’t return until after ToolThreadGlobal::coreApp -> quit(); has been fully executed).

Often the error message is a simple access violation; sometimes it’s a rather more involved:

ASSERT failure in QObjectPrivate::deleteChildren(): "isDeletingChildren already set, did this function recurse?", file ..\qtbase\src\corelib\kernel\qobject.cpp, line 1927

I assume it’s because, once I issue the quit() command to the QCoreApplication, I should be waiting for a little while for it to close down the event loop properly before deleting it - just as one would usually call quit() and then wait() on an ordinary QThread before deleting it. However, QCoreApplication doesn’t seem to have the equivalent of a wait() command, and I can’t implement a QTimer to force a delay because it wouldn’t work once I’ve closed down the event loop with quit(). I’m therefore at a loss what to do. I have an inkling that, as QCoreApplication is a QObject, I could call its deleteLater() method but I can’t see where I should call it from.

Is there an expert out there who understands the ins and outs of QCoreApplication and QThread well enough to suggest a solution to this? Or is there a fundamental flaw in the way that I have designed this?