Thread: Issue with createWindowContainer + SDL

Default Issue with createWindowContainer + SDL

Hi All,

I'm trying to embed an SDL_Window (SDL2) into a QT Application, my code snippet for doing it is the following:

Qt Code:
    1. auto window = QWindow::fromWinId((WId)Application::windowHandle());
    2. window->resize(width, height);
    4. SIEGE_ASSERT(window);
    6. mRenderSurface = QWidget::createWindowContainer(window);
    7. setCentralWidget(mRenderSurface);
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Application::windowHandle() returns the correct window id, the above results in the following:

http://i.imgur.com/xnEXGtO.png

For some reason the window isn't be "implanted" correctly into the central widget of the QMainWindow. If I use the GUI to resize the window, the widget will snap to the correct place, everything becomes resizeable and everything starts to work correctly. Am I missing a step in the process here that automatically implants and resizes it? From what I can tell when I add the widget to the central widget, it doesn't seem to repaint anything. It is also NOT an option to use the SDL_CreateWindowFrom function without patching SDL itself, this functionality is supposed to be on its way.

Thanks, Brkopac

edit: Currently using Qt 5.3

Default Re: Issue with createWindowContainer + SDL

Hello,
    I know this post is quite old, but i'm facing the same problem. I have a qwidget which is used as a container for a qwindow. This widget is contained in another qwidget. When i resize the container, the window is rendered above all other widgets and isn't always at its right position.
    Have you found any solution since ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Are you using a layout to hold the container widget inside of its parent widget?

I do not know if it will help, but you might try wrapping the container widget with another plain QWidget / QLayout, and then inserting that wrapper widget into the parent. Basically, insert an additional layer that contains a layout to manage what is inside it.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Hi,
    Thanks for your answer

My widget is not hold in a layout. Its position is relative to the parent as i need to rotate it / scale it (it's a widget used to make drawing operations).
    One thing that could help me would be to get an image (with a QImage ? ) of what is displayed on the window (used to do some rendering with vulkan) and render it in my widget.
    But i don't know if it's possible.
    Last edited by seb.tvpaint; 5th October 2020 at 14:11.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

My widget is not hold in a layout.
    Then I would bet money that the way you construct this widget and place it in the parent is the source of your problem.
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Did you use SDL_CreateWindowFrom();?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Did you use SDL_CreateWindowFrom();?
    No, and I am not talking about this. It doesn't matter how you obtain the QWidget, whether you create it directly or get it via QWidget hosting a QWindow created to wrap an native window handle. I am pretty sure the problem is how you are placing the new QWidget inside the hierarchy of your parent widget, especially since you say you aren't using a layout.

But instead of letting me guess, how about showing all of the code where you create -and- parent the QWidget containing the SDL window?