Thread: SVN in QtCreator 3.3.0

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default SVN in QtCreator 3.3.0

I've been using svn in QtCreator 2.4.1 in a Ubuntu VM Player on windows with no issues.

Clicking:

Tools->Subversion
    Resulted in svn actions being presented to commit,update,etc. But this functionality seems to bemissingin QtCreator 3.3.0.

The svn plug-in is checked under "About Plugins". I tried unchecking, exiting QtCreator, restarting, checking it, restarting, but "no joy".

I found a post on a different forum that reported the same symptoms. His "solution" was to go to an earlier Qt version, 5.0. I'm on 4.8 and it's definitely not worth the hassle (for me) to change Qt versions just to use SVN in qtcreator. But, if this is a dump "looser" issue, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: SVN in QtCreator 3.3.0

I don't think the version of Qt you are using for your program has any influence on how Creator works.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

You wouldn't think so. Here's the thread:

http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/51853

I'm thinking something got configured "automatically" when the different Qt version was installed? Maybe the new QtCreator doesn't think svn is configured for use, when it really is? Maybe because the earlier version of QtCreator has written something in a configuration file that confuses the newer QtCreator?

Sounds like something simple might get it working.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by davethomaspilot View Post
    I'm thinking something got configured "automatically" when the different Qt version was installed?
    No.
    Maybe the new QtCreator doesn't think svn is configured for use, when it really is?
    How do you "configure svn for use"? I just create a repository and use it, there is no need to configure svn and certainly no need to configure Qt to use it. Qt Creator and version of Qt you use for building your programs have nothing in common. Your Qt installation doesn't know anything about svn and Qt Creator has its own Qt installation it links against so it doesn't care which version of Qt you use.

It's likely a misconfiguration or a bug in Creator and by pure coincidence installing another version of Qt helped the original poster (probably due to other actions he did before or after installing and before checking whether it helped or not).
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

How do you "configure svn for use"?
    Enter a userid and password under Tools-->Options-->version control (Subversion tab).

I did that in QtCreator 2.4.1. I have a vague recollection (not sure) the svn actions didn't show up until I did that.

I did NOT have to do that when I switched to the 3.3.0. The userid and password entry boxes had the correct stuff. So, it must have been saved in a configuration file somewhere. It's a WAG (wild ass guess), but I was suggesting that IF the options are only enable after QtCreator sees that entry field change from empty to non-empty the first time, then that did NOT happen when I started using 3.3.0.

But, it's just a WAG. I guess I could try uninstalling both QtCreators and re-installing only 3.3.0, but that's more trouble than it's worth, especially when I'm not confident that would fix the problem.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Same problem here since I upgraded to Qt Creator 3.3.0 (Ubuntu 12.04, Qt creator 3.3.0, svn 1.6.17).
    This is not related to the Qt version but to Qt Creator itself.
    From the creator 3.3.0 release notes there:
    https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-creator/...ges-3.3.0#L120
    we can see:
    * Dropped support for Subversion versions earlier than 1.7.0
    This says it all, I think.
    I do not know why the support of previous SVN version was dropped but it looks like it is.

So there are 4 options left:
    1- Update your SVN to >= 1.7
    2- Downgrade Creator
    3- Do your SVN jobs outside Creator
    4- Search a workaround

For my part, I will choose option 4 first since I have the creator 3.3.0 sources at hand. I will investigate the svn plugin to see what is going on there.

It seems that going forward does not always make things better than before - at least not for everyone :-)

7. The following user says thank you to midi-pascal for this useful post:

davethomaspilot (12th January 2015)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks!

Option #1 seems painless:

1- Update your SVN to >= 1.7

But:

davethomaspilot@ubuntu:/opt/Qt/Tools/QtCreator/bin$ subversion -version
    subversion: command not found
    davethomaspilot@ubuntu:/opt/Qt/Tools/QtCreator/bin$ svn --version
    svn, version 1.6.17 (r1128011)
    compiled Aug 13 2014, 20:41:52

/opt/Qt/Tools/QtCreator/bin$ sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade subversion
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    subversion is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 65 not upgraded.
    So, my Ubuntu thinks the four month old svn is the newest version. Not supporting subversions for earlier than 1.7? Must be a reason, I guess.

Option #3 for me, or #2 --when I'm ready to commit changes drop back to older qtcreator.

(couldn't find the "thanks" button to push, looking so more after posting)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

What Ubuntu version do you have? My 14.10 has a much newer svn at hand:

$ svn --version
    svn, version 1.8.10 (r1615264)
    compiled Aug 21 2014, 13:44:15 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

1.7.0 was released in October 2011 and if you have an older version, it is high time you think about upgrading. AFAIR 1.7 adds a number of useful features and improves repository stability.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I'm using 12.04 in a vmplayer on windows. Newer 64 versions dropped support for ia32lib. I started with newer version and after lots of wasted time had to go back to 12.

So, I can't imagine a subversion feature that would warrant spending time changing to a newer version, but if that's what it takes to have integrated support in QtCreator, fine.

But, how to do on 12.04? Can you point me to an apt-get repository that won't say version 1.6.17 (r1128011) is the latest available (on 12.04)?

I'm using 12.04 in a vmplayer on windows. Newer 64 versions dropped support for ia32lib. I started with newer version and after lots of wasted time had to go back to 12.

So, I can't imagine a subversion feature that would warrant spending time changing to a newer version, but if that's what it takes to have integrated support in QtCreator, fine.

But, how to do on 12.04? Can you point me to an apt-get repository that won't say version 1.6.17 (r1128011) is the latest available (on 12.04)?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by davethomaspilot View Post
    Backports for 12.04 probably have newer svn.

BTW.:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/10723...2-libs-package

which means at least three things:
    1. you can upgrade to 13.10 without problems as it has ia32-libs available
    2. you can install the packages that replace ia32 and fake mark ia32 as installed
    3. you can install ia32 from a repository for an older release

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Smile Re: SVN in QtCreator 3.3.0

After digging into the svn plugin, I decided to upgrade my suversion to 1.7: too many changes between 3.2 and 3.3.

So there is a very easy way to get subversion 1.7 under Ubuntu 12.04:
    Please find the instructions here:
    http://www.diltech.com/content/subve...17-ubuntu-1204
    I did it and all worked smoothly.
    There is a missing last steps in the instruction though:
    * After the subversion upgrade, go to your checkout root directory and type 'svn upgrade' in it.
    After that, all worked perfectly and the subversion fonctionctionality within Creator reappeared automagically!
    Hope this help

13. The following user says thank you to midi-pascal for this useful post:

davethomaspilot (13th January 2015)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Perfect!

Works for me too. Now the svn stuff shows up in qtcreator.

Wysota:

2 and 3. Been there,done that. With nothing to show for it but frustration and growing resistance to mess much with what's pretty much working ok.

One of the several problems that made the multi-arch alternative to ia32 package unworkable for me was subsequently having to mess around with installing any package that had a dependency on ia32 libs. I don't recall the specifics, but I finally got stuck.

So, I figured I'd wasted WAY too much time trying to get things working on the newest Ubuntu. Never found a post anywhere where someone did it successfully (cross compile to RPI target from Ubuntu host) other than Ubuntu 12.

But I'll look at 1 when I3.10 when I have more time. I'd want l do it in another vm image as I need to preserve the development environment I have. Which probably means a 1/2 day to get everything set up and going again. And there's ALWAYS something new issue that comes up, like this newer package no longer supports that older one. That's Linux by nature, I think.

Thanks!