Thread: Insert, update database record using OOP

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question Insert, update database record using OOP

Hi!

I am learning object oriented programming and would like a few pointers from the wiser. I would like to make changes to make changes to the table in the database (insert, update, delete record). I am wondering if that is possible to achieve via a class? To have class student and inside defined functions selectStudent, insertStudent and updateStudent(id). The benefit would obviously be to have only one place to look up for the changes in the table structure and not the whole code.

I have seen it done in some examples, but only the result => John.setAge = 23, John.updateStudent(2).

Can you give me some pointers, examples, tutorials, ...? Thank you!

Qt products
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Insert, update database record using OOP

You can read the nest article http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql...seobjects.html and you'll good information about your question.

3. The following user says thank you to kaufenpreis for this useful post:

omci (28th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by omci View Post
    Hi!

I am learning object oriented programming and would like a few pointers from the wiser. I would like to make changes to make changes to the table in the database (insert, update, delete record). I am wondering if that is possible to achieve via a class? To have class student and inside defined functions selectStudent, insertStudent and updateStudent(id). The benefit would obviously be to have only one place to look up for the changes in the table structure and not the whole code.

I have seen it done in some examples, but only the result => John.setAge = 23, John.updateStudent(2).

Can you give me some pointers, examples, tutorials, ...? Thank you!
    There is a number of design patterns you could use. For example the Strategy pattern or the Visitor pattern. Both of them let you separate the algorithm from the data. That is you implement "insert", "update" and other algorithms not in the Student class but rather in a separate class (or rather set of classes) that accept your data object (i.e. Student instance) as an argument. However whether any of those approaches fit your use-case, it depends on that use-case.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

5. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

omci (28th January 2015)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you both, just the information I was looking for but could not find it on my own!