Thread: How to highlight differently two views of the same QTextDocument

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default How to highlight differently two views of the same QTextDocument

Hello everyone !

I found already a lot of answers on this forum, but I'm stuck on this issue :

I'm trying to implement a sort of text "minimap" as we can find in Kate or Sublime Text (more the latter) .

From a single QTextDocument, I display it in a QTextEdit (editor) and also in a QTextBrowser (minimap) . The minimap uses QGraphicsView and QGrapicsProxyWidget to be seen scaled down. It works fine.

Now, I want to apply a different highlighting to each of the views. I read everywhere that I can't use two QSyntaxHighlighter in the same QTextDocument. Fine, having already use this class, I understand the limitation. Yet, I don't want to clone the QTextDocument each time there is an update, only for it to support it's own highlighter. It would be resource hungry with large texts.

Does anyone have an idea ? Maybe a workaround or a different approach ? I'd like to read your input

Thank you for your time and "Vive Qt !"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: How to highlight differently two views of the same QTextDocument

What exactly do you want to highlight differently? The whole text or do you mean selections?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hello wysota,

A whole different set of fonts and colors for all of the document.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

I'm afraid in that case you will have to make a copy of the document and synchronize both documents by handling QTextDocument::contentsChange() signal.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you, I was afraid of that.