Thread: requires to install plugins to play media files

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default requires to install plugins to play media files

All,

Before we (myself, my client, and the mouse on the desk) go too far down a rabbit hole I'm hoping someone here has stumbled into this before.

Ubuntu Linux 12, 14, 15 (and probably 16 when it comes out)
    Qt 5.4.x from the current _run file.
    QGraphicsWebView based application with local html, etc.

Since we are full screen, always on top, I don't notice this window until I shut down.

requires to install plugins to play media files of the following type: H.264 decoder

gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

Is there some Qt based work around for this? Granted I noticed this testing on 32-bit 15, but, I assume it will have similar issues on the other flavors both in 32 and 64 bit. The target machines will not be connected to a network or Internet. Would really like to avoid having to bundle outside stuff since we are trying to make a single self contained DEB which will run in its own little universe whether machine is 32 or 64 bit. Stuff which is physically linked to executable is easy to identify and included in the DEB, run-time type stuff like this is not so good.

Thanks for any and all help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: requires to install plugins to play media files

My guess is that seeing this information window could mean that your program is using the system version of GStreamer instead of your bundled one, which then looks for its plugins instead of the ones of your bundled version.

Not sure how GStreamer looks for its plugins, but maybe test with a system where the distribution's GStreamer package is not installed?

Cheers,
    _

3. The following user says thank you to anda_skoa for this useful post:

RolandHughes (22nd June 2015)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by anda_skoa View Post
    My guess is that seeing this information window could mean that your program is using the system version of GStreamer instead of your bundled one, which then looks for its plugins instead of the ones of your bundled version.

Not sure how GStreamer looks for its plugins, but maybe test with a system where the distribution's GStreamer package is not installed?

Cheers,
    _
    I didn't believe it was installed on this VM, but, I also do not know if our DEB packaging person was bundling any of the Qt plug-ins. When we get a new packaging person I will ask.

In the mean time, since this particular piece isn't very far along in the coding, I will spend an hour or so converting it to QWebEngine. I need to read up on QWebEngine and see if it uses/is bundled with plug-ins. Never played with it before.

At some point in this project I need to schedule a hot date with my mattress. Fall face down in it and not get up for days. Just can't do the 100 hour weeks like the twenty somethings on this project.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by RolandHughes View Post
    I need to read up on QWebEngine and see if it uses/is bundled with plug-ins.
    I think it does.
    Basically as a consequence of being a Chromium derived thing and Chromium bundling their on fork of ffmpeg.

Cheers,
    _