Thread: Persistent queue?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Persistent queue?

I am writing a small app, which basically needs to store messages and relay them to 3rd party servers. Basically, a QList where is push and pop data. However, my boss told me that the data must be also saved into disk, and memory only is not good enough.

I can code something, maybe storing the whole QList into disk each time, or storing it into an SQLite3 and then removing stuff as needed. I am looking for something already existing.

Please don't post messages about RabbitMQ or other high performance message queues. They are overkill for my needs (think: Using Oracle when you need an INI file).

Thanks!

I am writing a small app, which basically needs to store messages and relay them to 3rd party servers. Basically, a QList where is push and pop data. However, my boss told me that the data must be also saved into disk, and memory only is not good enough.

I can code something, maybe storing the whole QList into disk each time, or storing it into an SQLite3 and then removing stuff as needed. I am looking for something already existing.

Please don't post messages about RabbitMQ or other high performance message queues. They are overkill for my needs (think: Using Oracle when you need an INI file).

Thanks!

Added after 25 minutes:

Replying to myself, as I am that cool:

How about using http://stxxl.sourceforge.net/ ...? Its an STL implementation that saved the data into disk when needed.

Might be an overkill... but this is the idea I am looking for, a simple API.
    Last edited by elcuco; 6th August 2015 at 14:57.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Simple serialization can also be done via QDataStream.
    Just needs QDataStream operators in the value classes and then you can stream a whole QList in and out of the stream.

Cheers,
    _

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Replying to myself, as I am that cool
    I see people on the city streets talking to themselves all the time. I never realized how cool they were until I read this.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco View Post
    Might be an overkill... but this is the idea I am looking for, a simple API.
    IMHO, you'll spend more time googling for an API or posting to this forum than it would take to serialize your QList to disk yourself.

If you're using a database for other purposes, just add a table and insert/delete rows from the table and you queue/dequeue messages.

If you're not already using a database, just write a file with the queued messages. You'll have to rewrite the file each time you queue a new message or dequeue a message. Perhaps look at QFileDevice::map for memory mapped files as well.

Good luck.
    I write the best type of code possible, code that I want to write, not code that someone tells me to write!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

If you are going to write a backing file yourself, and it is important that messages do not get lost, then be careful how you do it. A temporary out of disk space condition can ruin your day if it breaks during write of a new queue file and you have overwritten the existing file.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW67 View Post
    If you are going to write a backing file yourself, and it is important that messages do not get lost, then be careful how you do it.
    Agreed, and thanks for pointing out. I should have been more specific, i.e. write new file, rename old file, rename new file, delete old file, etc.
    I write the best type of code possible, code that I want to write, not code that someone tells me to write!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Quote Originally Posted by jefftee View Post
    If you're not already using a database, just write a file with the queued messages. You'll have to rewrite the file each time you queue a new message or dequeue a message. Perhaps look at QFileDevice::map for memory mapped files as well.
    Sorry for replying to myself, I don't see that I can edit my prior post for some reason!

After thinking about your question a bit, I would just add support for SQLITE to your app. It doesn't require an database server and is very easy to implement.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by jefftee View Post
    Agreed, and thanks for pointing out. I should have been more specific, i.e. write new file, rename old file, rename new file, delete old file, etc.
    http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qsavefile.html

Cheers,
    _

9. The following user says thank you to anda_skoa for this useful post:

jefftee (7th August 2015)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thanks for the replies... and I did think of some of the things already mentioned here. Regarding disk full, I do have this as a basic assumption, near to "plug in the PC". Lets assume that if disk is full, I cannot do anything. Same as "new fails" - it's OK for the app to die, as I cannot do anything to remedy this.

Another option I was thinking... is writing writing all the data received into file in fdisk, and them append a "u32" which means "how much did I read". By default is "0", meaning all is unread. To append, I
    Qt Code:
    1. fopen()
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    , and then
    Qt Code:
    1. fseek( filesize - sizeOf(u32))
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    , read the unread offset, and then fseek() again, append new data and write that offset again. When "consuming" data from the file, I just need to fseek() and then write only 8 bytes. IMHO this should be less IO then using SQlite. As this file is only managed by my app, I don't think this might break.

What do you guys think, what can break with this setup?

(2nd option is SQLite)