Thread: Newbie needs advice on moving to designer

Thanks

Question Newbie needs advice on moving to designer

All,

I bought the book on QT "C++ Gui Programming with QT" and have successfully written a couple small apps. I hand coded these things in Kwrite (although i see here that KDevelop is by far the way to go -- opinions here are encouraged).

Now I am trying to start a new app by using the Designer tool. I am having a difficult time knowing what i need to do by hand, and what the tool will create for me...

For example. I have a new MainWindow.ui with all kinds of cool widgets.. To just make it complie (without any functionality) is all i need a main.cpp? or do i need to create a mainwindow.h to declare all the classes for QMenu, QLabel etc?

Its a bit confusing because the all the books focus on hand coding all the interfaces, but designer is so easy to use... and nothing states that you only need to provide a, b, c, etc.

I would just stay hand coding, but my interfaces are getting more complex and it will save tons of time...

any resources are appreciated.

TIA.

Chris

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Newbie needs advice on moving to designer

Quote Originally Posted by nbkhwjm View Post
    To just make it complie (without any functionality) is all i need a main.cpp? or do i need to create a mainwindow.h to declare all the classes for QMenu, QLabel etc?
    You still need main() and a class that represents the window --- the code generated from .ui file will only create widgets and place them in proper places.

Read this: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/designe...component.html

Thanks

Default Re: Newbie needs advice on moving to designer

Thanks I'll go through that page...