We are building an application with text items that can be moved, edited, and resized in a QGraphicsScene. I had this working well using QGraphicsTextItem, but it turns out that we need to be able to update the contents of these items very frequently, and I've changed my implementation to use QGraphicsSimpleTextItem instead. This has done wonders for the speed of content updates.

I'm hoping someone could give me a suggestion for how to allow editing of text in the QGraphicsSimpleTextItem, like was automatically supported in QGraphicsTextItem. I am thinking that I should implement something where when the user clicks on the item, I add either a QLineEdit, or a QGraphicsTextItem over the existing QGraphicsSimpleTextItem, and when they are done editing, take the contents of that item, put it into the QGraphicsSimpleTextItem, and then toss the temporary item.

I think I can do this, but some hints as to best practices, or if anyone has any code where they've done something like this, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,