Thread: Reading PDFs from a directory

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Reading PDFs from a directory

I am hoping to get some help here guys. I am developing this program that reads and displays pdf documents from a directory. The program does not actually open the pdf documents, it just displays them in list format in a QListView. My problem is that the program reads only the title/name of the pdf documents and leaves the icon next to the title. The picture on the left, shows a screenshot of how the program reads and displays the pdf documents (without the icons). The picture on the right is how the pdf documents are displayed in the directory and that is how I would like them to be displayed by my program. Untitled.jpgCapture.PNG

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Reading PDFs from a directory

If you are feeding your QListView from a model derived from QAbstractItemModel, then you need to implement the Qt::DecorationRole inside your model's data() method (QAbstractItemModel::data()) and supply the appropriate QIcon. QListView doesn't know these are PDF document names. The directory view asks the OS for the icon associated with entries in a directory, so that's why you see them there.

It's hard to see because your screenshot is so tiny, but it also looks like your filenames are aligned horizontal center in each column. If you don't want that, then you also need to implement the Qt:: AlignmentRole in the data() method, and return Qt:: AlignLeft | Qt:: AlignVCenter.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

3. The following user says thank you to d_stranz for this useful post:

ayanda83 (1st October 2016)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

The directory view asks the OS for the icon associated with entries in a directory, so that's why you see them there.
    Is there no way I get my program to ask the OS for an associated icon to a file instead of supplying it myself?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Is there no way I get my program to ask the OS for an associated icon to a file instead of supplying it myself?
    I looked for that as I was making my original answer. QFileSystemModel has a QFileSystemModel::FileIconRole that gets mapped to the DecorationRole. QFileDialog apparently knows to ask for this (along with some of the Qt:: UserRole extras that the file system model provides). I thought QFileInfo might serve up the icon, but it doesn't. I think you'll have to look into the QFileSystemModel source code to find out what it is doing.

You can download the official PDF icon from Adobe here.

Edit: Aha! There is a QFileIconProvider class!
    Last edited by d_stranz; 1st October 2016 at 23:42.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Thank you very much, you've been a great help. I'm going to check-out QFileIconProvider, I'm pretty sure this will solve my problem.