Thread: An installer for Qt apps

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows Android

Default An installer for Qt apps

I've created a Qt calculator app using Qt Creator 3.6.0 purely in C++ code (I didn't use Designer)

I would like to know how to use Qt to make it installable for publishing. I ran the app in both Release and Debug modes and have both folders of the two.

I also downloaded and installed Qt Installer Framework Opensource 2.0.1 for my Qt Creator 3.6.0 (the IDE I use for Qt).

And I also have the .dll files needed to run the .exe file.

I've searched the Web for it. But since I'm a novice in Qt I can't do the works properly, or I don't understand. (They seem complicated) Now, is there any straight forward method to use an installer for the app to make as platform independent as possible?

If so, what installer? And how to do the process? This is the first time for me.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: An installer for Qt apps

... to use an installer for the app to make as platform independent as possible?
    Qt source code is platform independent. The shared libraries / DLLs that implement Qt are not. Neither is your executable. All of that depends on the system you use to compile and link your app, as well as the version of Qt you use.

You should start here to learn about deployment and follow the links for the specific OS you want to deploy to.

I believe Qt might come with a tool to create installers. I don't know; I build installers for Windows using NSIS.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

3. The following user says thank you to d_stranz for this useful post:

franky (31st January 2017)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows Android

Default Re: An installer for Qt apps

Thank you for your answer.
    What about this link:
    http://doc.qt.io/qtinstallerframewor...g-started.html

In bottom, in Setting up Qt Installer Framework, number 1 orders to have Qt Installer Framework source code. I downloaded it from here:
    https://download.qt.io/official_rele...amework/2.0.1/. (qt-installer-framework-opensource-2.0.1-src.zip)

Now I don't understand the next instruction there
    It says:
    2- Build the tools by running the "qmake" from the static Qt, followed by "make" or "nmake".

My question is, first what does it mean?
    And from what path?
    I don't know how to do it