Thread: Integration: Nested Tree Parent Child C++ Classes with Models/Delegates for QML

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Integration: Nested Tree Parent Child C++ Classes with Models/Delegates for QML

I really appreciate your time and all the help you are offering me on this!

I have a quick question for you while I finish making changes to my classes.

What is the role of a <class>Manager class? I am just trying to understand how it fits in.
    Say I want to to add copy constractors and assignment opperators for the App, Album and Card classes, where would those be implemented? in their respective classes? or in the their accompanying <class>Manager classes?
    What about the Setter and Getter class methods such as "QString getCardName() const;"? Same with the default and overloaded constructors? should I even have a default constructor in the original class?

I have noticed that you combine each class and it's Manager class in the same document. Is there a reason or a benifit behind this practise? or is this simple down to preference and time saving?
    I have created three different classes for each of the "core" classes. An Album class, an AlbumsManager class and an AlbumModel class. I am totally open to changing it to the template you wrote if it makes a difference.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Integration: Nested Tree Parent Child C++ Classes with Models/Delegates for QML

Yes, anda_skoa has been very generous with his help on this one and has given you a well-thought-out and flexible design.

If you use the Card and Album classes as anda_skoa has defined them in his code, you don't actually need an explicit copy constructor (or even an assignment operator) because C++ will implement default ones for you. Usually default constructor / assignment does a bitwise copy of the right-hand side instance (i.e. the instance you are copying from), except when the class being copied contains member variables which themselves have copy / assignment operators, which QString and QStringList do (and which fundamental types like int, float, etc. also have). If you add anything to the definitions of these classes which does not have explicit copy / assignment, you'll either have to make copy and assignment methods for them, or implement them in the Card or Album class. For example, if you add a pointer variable, you'll probably want to either wrap it in a smart pointer (which has copy / assignment), make a deep copy of the contents of the instance pointed to, or add another "manager" which is in charge of the lifetime of these pointers (rather than delete them in the Card or Album destructor).

Combining the Card and CardManager class in the same file is basically just for convenience. More importantly, only the CardManager should be allowed to create Card instances, because then it will automatically add them to the list of Card instances it is managing. Likewise for Album and AlbumManager. You can't have a standalone, unmanaged Card or Album. But on the other hand, anda_skoa's design allows for cards that belong to no album as well as cards that belong to multiple albums.

You'll probably only have one instance each of the AlbumManager and CardManager classes, but the design also anticipates that you might want to expand to handle multiple users, each one of whom will have their own card and album collections, so you'd need a card and album manager for each of them.

The AlbumManager and CardManager classes are the GUI-independent classes that are used by the AlbumCardsModel. This model is the interface to the views; when either the CardManager or AlbumManager make changes to their content, they emit signals that the model listens for so it can in turn update the views. You might have several instances of AlbumCardsModel - one for interfacing to one or more views of different albums.
    Last edited by d_stranz; 31st December 2016 at 01:02.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

3. The following user says thank you to d_stranz for this useful post:

Nizars (31st December 2016)