Thread: Displaying an application on a website

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Displaying an application on a website

I have been trying to ask this question in several forums, and in the last one the question was just deleted. So sorry if it is of topic but run out of ideas where to ask, i tried for several day google but i may be asking the wrong question. In any case this is my question: I have an application that runs on linux, it just summarizes totals from tables on a database. I want to be able to run that application when i go into my web site and click on a link or something. I know that this can be done, some time ago i saw a couple of sites running some sample applications. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks guys, and sorry for this post.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Displaying an application on a website

In other words, do you wanna run your C++ app from website? If yes (I'm really not sure if I understand correctly) check this link https://kripken.github.io/emscripten-site/index.html.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

So sorry if it is of topic but run out of ideas where to ask, i tried for several day google but i may be asking the wrong question.
    Did you try stackoverflow (www.stackoverflow.com)?

There are many things you didn't say that are important to even start thinking about an answer.
    The application you have - do you want it to run on a server or on your local machine?
    Do you want the application to simply run on the system it is on, or run in your browser?
    Better yet would be if you simply give a full description of your use case, then the answer might be totally different than what you think, probably your question as well.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks guys, i have been googoling for days, visited stackoverflow (there is where my question was deleted) as well as many other sites. All of the answers are about web pages calling an app that resides on the machine that is doing the viewing. English is not my first language i'll do my best to explain.
    I have an application that runs on linux, on the server that runs the website. The application was written in C++, but i don't think it matters as it is compiled. It would be the same as the linux desktop clock, or the eyes that follow your cursor. When i'm outside the office i want to go on my website, from any device (a mac, another pc, a phone, or the tv) open a web page and have that application show up on the page.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

open a web page and have that application show up on the page.
    Short answer: you can't do that.

Long answer:
    You seem not to understand how a web page is rendered, and this is far beyond the scope of a forum post, and this forum in general.
    What you might do is, if your application can be well separated into a backend without a UI and a UI that connected to the backend in some way, then you might be able to program a web UI for your backend that can be displayed on a browser.
    But if your application or its UI are not programmed with a web UI technology (JS, PHP, HTML etc) then there is no way to do what you want since the web browser can't render your applications UI if it is not developed in a technology a web browser can use, at least that I am aware of.

I know that this can be done, some time ago i saw a couple of sites running some sample applications.
    I dare to say you probably misunderstood what you saw, unless you can provide more information on that like names or links.
    ==========================signature=============== ==================
    S.O.L.I.D principles (use them!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLID_...iented_design)

Do you write clean code? - if you are TDD'ing then maybe, if not, your not writing clean code.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I dare to say you probably misunderstood what you saw, unless you can provide more information on that like names or links.
    That is exactly what i have been doing for the past few days but i can remember where did i see the application. It had the look an feel of remote desktop but i could open it from my phone. I have looked in my history to see if it was saved somewhere, but cannot find it.
    Thanks anyway i truly appreciate the effort.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Android

I have an application that runs on linux

You need to provide more information such as names or links.

Qt products
    Qt3
    Platforms
    Windows

In other words, do you wanna run your C++ app from website?