Thread: QwtDial backbone radius problem

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Unhappy QwtDial backbone radius problem

I have created several gauges using QwtDial, but the default backbone arc and needle length are quite small relative to the surrounding frame.
    inner_angle_deg.PNG

After examining the source code, I found the QwtDial constructor always sets the associated QwtRoundScaleDraw object's radius to zero. So, I tried getting the QwtRoundScaleDraw object after a dial is created and setting a new radius. This had no effect. Examining the QwtRoundScaleDraw::extent() method, I found it did not include the radius in the QwtAbstractScaleDraw::Backbone component clause.

As an experiment, I tried adding the radius to the QwtRoundScaleDraw::extent() method and rebuilding the Qwt library. This allowed me to change the backbone radius as described above, but the ticks and labeling are not resized correctly; they are now inside the backbone radius instead of outside.

I've noticed the dial examples don't appear to use a backbone, so I am wondering if this is an issue that has been missed in testing the QwtDial functionality?

Kind regards,

Curt

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: QwtDial backbone radius problem

Well the radius gets automatically adjusted in QwtDial::drawContents, It depends on the rectangle being calculated in QwtDial::scaleInnerRect, what is a virtual method that can be overloaded.
    The default implementation of the extent should somehow depend on the space needed for the tick labels. I guess it is made for a tick label that needs more space - but to find out more you would need to use your debugger ( or upload source code for a small compilable demo ).

Uwe

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

QwtDial::scaleInnerRect() uses the extent from QwtDial::scaleDraw() plus a small margin to define the +/- rect:

int scaleDist = qCeil( sd->extent( font() ) );
    scaleDist++; // margin
    rect.adjust( scaleDist, scaleDist, -scaleDist, -scaleDist );

QwtDial::scaleDraw() returns the abstractScaleDraw() inherited from QwtAbstractSlider, which is in turn inherited from QwtAbstractScale, but cast to QwtRoundScaleDraw.
    QwtDial::scaleInnerRect() casts the pointer returned by scaleDraw() back to QwtAbstractScaleDraw.
    The extent() method in QwtAbstractScaleDraw is virtual and defaults to zero:

virtual double extent( const QFont &font ) const = 0;

I believe this means that QwtDial::scaleInnerRect() is not using QwtRoundScaleDraw::extent() and is possibly a bug.

Curt

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by cmschroeder View Post
    The extent() method in QwtAbstractScaleDraw is virtual and defaults to zero:

virtual double extent( const QFont &font ) const = 0;

I believe this means that QwtDial::scaleInnerRect() is not using QwtRoundScaleDraw::extent() and is possibly a bug.
    No, this is not how virtual methods work. If the object is a QwtRoundScaleDraw it doesn_t matter that you are calling the extent method from a pointer to its base class.

Uwe