Thread: What's the difference between emplace & insert in std::vector or in std::list

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default What's the difference between emplace & insert in std::vector or in std::list

As stated in the question, can someone elaborate & help me understand the difference between emplace & insert member functions in vector or list.
    How are they different from each other?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: What's the difference between emplace & insert in std::vector or in std::list

The difference is that insert() takes a reference to an already-constructed instance and copies it into the vector or list before the given position. emplace() constructs a new instance in place before the given position in the vector or list. You do not give it an instance to copy in, you give it arguments which will be passed to the constructor of the new instance. So in effect, emplace() grows the vector or list by enough to hold a new instance and then constructs the instance in the new empty spot.

Qt Code:
    1. MyClass myClass( 42 ); // MyClass::MyClass( int value = 0 )
    2. std::vector< MyClass > myClasses;
    4. myClasses.insert( myClasses.end(), myClass ); // makes a copy of myClass at the end of the vector
    5. myClasses.emplace( myClasses.end(), 43 ); // constructs a new MyClass instance at the end of the vector and initializes it with value 43
    6. myClasses.emplace( myClasses.end() ); // uses the default MyClass constructor to create a new instance at the end of the vector
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

In both cases, insert() and emplace() return an iterator pointing to the new element.
    Last edited by d_stranz; 28th October 2017 at 02:02.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: What's the difference between emplace & insert in std::vector or in std::list

After reading the definition, I'm still unclear about the concept. This is what I grasped, correct me if I'm wrong.
    "takes a reference to an already-constructed instance and copies it into ... " - does this mean, it consumes one element space in currently allocated storage ?
    "emplace constructs a new instance" - does that mean, it keeps the "capacity" undisturbed, adds one element exclusively, irrespective of currently allocated storage ?

Here is what I tried -
    Qt Code:
    1. class MyClass
    2. {
    3. int d_val;
    4. public:
    5. MyClass(int i = 0) : d_val(i) {}
    6. int getVal() { return d_val; }
    7. };
    9. int main()
    10. {
    11. MyClass m(99);
    12. vector<MyClass> v;
    13. v.insert(v.end(), 23); // "insert() takes a reference to an already-constructed instance" --- But I have passed a unconstructed element.
    14. v.emplace(v.end(), m); // "emplace() constructs a new instance in place" --- I have passed a already constructed element.
    16. for(auto i : v)
    17. cout << i.getVal() << endl;
    18. }

I'm still unable to comprehend the difference.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by rawfool; 28th October 2017 at 07:24.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

In both cases, the vector or list will be grown if necessary to accommodate the new entry. size() will increase by 1, but capacity() may not if the underlying implementation's default allocation size is already big enough to hold the extra element or if you called reserve() with a larger value than the size() before the new element was added.

v.emplace(v.end(), m); // "emplace() constructs a new instance in place" --- I have passed a already constructed element.
    Ah, but here you are implicitly invoking the MyClass copy constructor because you are passing a MyClass instance as an argument:

Qt Code:
    1. MyClass::MyClass( const MyClass & myClass )

so you end up with two instances, "m" - the one you constructed manually, and a copy of "m", built in place in the vector and initialized with the contents of "m". Even though your class doesn't explicitly define a copy constructor, C++ implements one for you (which by default makes a bitwise copy of the contents of the instance it is initialized with). Likewise for operator=().

To explain in another way:

insert() requires an already-existing instance of the class, which it then makes a copy of into the vector (using MyClass:: operator=( const MyClass & ))
    emplace() does not require an existing instance, but creates one for you and initializes it with the extra arguments you pass in (using MyClass:: MyClass( arguments ))
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Ok, now I got it.
    After reading your answer, I now tried with explicit constructor and it reported error for passing int value at insert. Now it makes sense to me.
    Qt Code:
    1. explicit MyClass(int i = 0) : d_val(i) {}
    2. ...
    3. ...
    4. v.insert(v.end(), 23); // compiler reports error
    Thanks a lot, d_stranz

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Yes, I missed your first example of insert( v.end(), 23 ). That would invoke the default constructor to create a temporary instance initialized to 23, which would then be copied into the vector.

Glad to help.