Thread: QT 5: Books and instructional recommendations ?

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default QT 5: Books and instructional recommendations ?

Hi,

Trying to learn how to program in QT C++ and all the books that out there are written for Qt 4. I have Qt 5.6 installed and for one the code examples are dated and don’t work without editing, and two I want to study current coding standards. So are there any good reads out there on an intermediate level?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: QT 5: Books and instructional recommendations ?

all the books that out there are written for Qt 4.
    Except for some minor changes, the core parts of Qt did not change much between Qt 4 and Qt 5. What did change was the organization of include files and the addition of many more libraries with additional functionality. For Qt 4, I would recommend Summerfield's "Advanced Qt Programming" and Blanchette and Summerfield's "C++ GUI Programming with Qt4" The best Qt 5 book in my opinion is the one by Witold Wysota and Lorenz Haas "Game Programming Using Qt", which really isn't that much about game programming at all; the example developed in the book is a game, but the real purpose is to teach Qt 5.

I want to study current coding standards
    The "current coding standards" have nothing to do with Qt really. They are more enhancements to the C++ language itself, like lambdas and template-related details. The principal language-related addition between Qt 4 and Qt 5 was new syntax for QObject::connect() and the use of lambdas as slots. Qt is a set of C++ libraries, so whatever your C++ toolchain supports will also be usable in writing C++ - based Qt programs.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks for the recommendations. I am familiar with Summerfield and Blanchette’s GUI Programming. Good instructional material and not too difficult to understand unlike Mastering Qt 5 which I’m reading now which I find hard to follow. I’ll check out Game Programming. Saw it on Amazon.

About coding standards I meant a lot of the examples say to include QTGui such that QtLineEdit or QLabel class definitions will be included all in one reference but I find myself individually including each class if I want to make the examples work, and even modifying the Pro file if I want the QApplication references working properly in the main file.

Thanks

Qt products
    PyQt3 PyQt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X

Hi, I am currently studying this and can advise you on C ++ GUI Programming with Qt 4, and Qt5 C ++ GUI Programming and Advanced Qt Programming will also be helpful: Creating Great Software with C ++ and Qt 4.

Added after 4 minutes:

And also i recommend you Java APIs, Extensions and Libraries, QT5 c++ gui programming cookbook: practical recipes for building cross-platform gui applications, widgets, and animations with qt 5, 2nd edition and Getting Started with Qt 5.
    Last edited by MatthewPratt; 29th January 2021 at 15:09.
    I am a 3rd-year student, I study computer science, I always liked it, since school I began to develop myself in this direction. I always read a lot, even in my free time I read fiction and I recommend you a useful resource, check here and study Guy Montag in Fahrenheit 451: character analysis, everything is described very informatively and draws into the study of more details and a full reading of the science fiction novella Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury.