Hi,

I am designing a common GUI based on Qt Widgets that will cater to multiple applications of the same category. Basically, each application has almost similar functionality just differentiated by no. of parameters it has.
So, we have this Table/Tree Widget that lists all these parameters. These parameters are of type number, booleans, strings etc. so accordingly I have used Label, Checkbox, Spinbox widgets.
To have a common display application instead of multiple for each of the application, we designed an XML based on each application. This XML will contain information(basically the contents of table) to show in the GUI. It is somewhat of the format below:
Qt Code:
  1. <tab id="0">
  2. <tablelayout class="2coltable">
  3. <row>
  4. <item class="label">
  5. .....
  6. </item>
  7. <item class="checkbox">
  8. .....
  9. </item>
  10. </row>
  11. <row>
  12. <item class="label">
  13. .....
  14. </item>
  15. <item class="spinbox">
  16. .....
  17. </item>
  18. </row>
  19. ....
  20. ....
  21. <tablelayout>
  22. </tab>
To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
I basically parse this XML and add the widgets accordingly on my layout.

For this project, I had also thought of having these parameters in a database DB file or even designing a separate Qt UI file for each application and use the UI loading functionality in Qt.

Now, I don't want to go into the design of this XML format. I would like to know what are common design methodologies that are used while designing a UI that shows dynamic data based on configuration or context. Where is the data that it wants to show dynamically is usually stored and in which format?