Thread: Signal parameter - needed?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Default Signal parameter - needed?

I have the signals from a pushButton and a checkBox both connected to the same slot:

connect(pushButton_redraw_dist_plots, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots()));
    connect(cbox_USE_LOGNORMAL_DIST, SIGNAL(stateChanged()), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots()));

The pushButton signal does invoke drawDistPlots(), but the checkBox signal does not. I know that clicked() takes a bool argument, and stateChanged() takes an int argument, but I'm not sure if the arguments are needed. From what I observe, it seems that the clicked() signal functions without the argument, but apparently the stateChanged() signal does not. This seems odd. I am omitting the arguments because I don't know how to make drawDistPlots() take either a bool or an int argument. Is there a way to do what I want?

Thanks
    Gib

Edit:
    I decided to try making drawDistPlots() take a dummy int argument, then use these connect statements:

connect(pushButton_redraw_dist_plots, SIGNAL(clicked(bool)), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots(int)));
    connect(cbox_USE_LOGNORMAL_DIST, SIGNAL(stateChanged(int)), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots(int)));

This compiles (to my surprise), but the pushButton signal is not received.
    Last edited by gib; 18th October 2018 at 02:34.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Signal parameter - needed?

Hi, you need to add the parameters in the signal when you call connect, but you can omit them in the slot, so you don't need a dummy parameter.
    I'm not sure about connecting a signal with a bool parameter to a slot with an int, but I think it should print an error at runtime.
    This should work:
    Qt Code:
    1. connect(pushButton_redraw_dist_plots, SIGNAL(clicked()), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots()));
    2. connect(cbox_USE_LOGNORMAL_DIST, SIGNAL(stateChanged(int)), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots()));
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Ginsengelf

edit: you could also use the new Qt5 syntax: https://wiki.qt.io/New_Signal_Slot_Syntax

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Thanks. After some testing, I found that this works:

connect(pushButton_redraw_dist_plots, SIGNAL(clicked(bool)), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots(bool)));
    connect(cbox_USE_LOGNORMAL_DIST, SIGNAL(toggled(bool)), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots(bool)));

From what you say I could omit the dummy parameter in the slot.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

A little late, but I was on vacation and couldn't log into the forum and the "forgot password" link still doesn't work.

connect(pushButton_redraw_dist_plots, SIGNAL(clicked(bool)), this, SLOT(drawDistPlots(bool)));
    If your slot does not use the bool argument, then there is no need to define the slot method with a bool argument. That is, your slot can simply be:

Qt Code:
    1. void MyClass::drawDistPlots()
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

The Qt signal / slot system allows slots to use fewer arguments than the signals they are connected to. For example, if the signal has two parameters, then the slot can use both of them, only the first one, or none at all.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.