Thread: Doubt large-scale project qt

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows Android

Default Doubt large-scale project qt

Hello, first of all I would like to apologize in case the question is already resolved in some thread.
    I am carrying out a project with visual basic and would like to do the interface with Qt 5.9 and QML 2. It is the first time that I use qt and qml and therefore I have doubts and problems.
    The first thing I wanted to comment is if there is a good tutorial anywhere where I explain: how to structure the project, how to integrate it with what I already have from visual basic and how to configure it.
    Above all I want to know how to configure it correctly with qt 5.9 and QML2 for all possible platforms (This section is where more problems arise with tutorials that I have found through the internet) and it is very important that it is a large project and therefore I need a good structuring so much.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Doubt large-scale project qt

As far as I know there is no way to use Qt with or without the QML layer as the UI for a Visual Basic application. VB is Basic, Qt is C++. If there was COM API for Qt, then you could use it that way, but there is no such thing.

The only links I see on Google discuss porting VB code to C++.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows Android

Quote Originally Posted by d_stranz View Post
    As far as I know there is no way to use Qt with or without the QML layer as the UI for a Visual Basic application. VB is Basic, Qt is C++. If there was COM API for Qt, then you could use it that way, but there is no such thing.

The only links I see on Google discuss porting VB code to C++.
    This part aside, would there be any structuring / organization and configuration tutorials?
    Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by d_stranz View Post
    If there was COM API for Qt, then you could use it that way, but there is no such thing.
    https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/activeqt-index.html

But long term a rewrite might be the best solution in any case.

Cheers,
    _

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

If there was COM API for Qt, then you could use it that way, but there is no such thing.
    My interpretation of the OP's question was that he wanted to use Qt from within his VB application. The ActiveQt framework is the other way around - you use Qt to host COM / ActiveX controls, not use VB as a host for Qt widgets. This is what I meant by "no COM API for Qt".

This part aside, would there be any structuring / organization and configuration tutorials?
    Qt distributions come with a huge set of examples and tutorials and the Qt documentation is extensive. Structuring a large Qt application is no different from structuring an application written in any object-oriented framework: separate the business logic from the UI, and separate the data model from both.

For my personal practices, my apps are all large - hundreds of thousands of lines of code - and are written such that application logic and data structures are in plain, vanilla C++ and Qt is used only for user interaction, visualization, and (via the Model/View Framework) mapping between internal data structures and the UI.

Others prefer to take advantage of Qt's reimplementation of much of the C++ Standard Library and other core libraries and write everything using Qt.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

6. The following user says thank you to d_stranz for this useful post:

jm3dina (31st August 2019)