Looking for something better than the Arduino IDE, I recently came across a post that described how to use QT for Arduino development:

https://blog.jayway.com/2011/09/22/u...comment-549656

Having used QT to develop a cross-platform application I decided to give this a try. The post is quite old so some adjustments were required. I am using QT4 from the ubuntu repository on Linux Mint 19 with Cinnamon. The combination works very well for the UNO, but I can't get it to work with the MEGA2560. From the Arduino point of view, all one needs to do is change the Makefile to reflect the change of board (i.e. change BOARD_TAG from uno to mega). However, when I try to deploy the application to the Mega, the IDE sits forever with the Run options greyed out until I close the application, whereupon it tells me there is a deployment in progress and asks me whether I want to cancel it.

I had to change the Makefile as follows (in accordance with the instructions in Arduino.mk):

Qt Code:
  1. ARDUINO_DIR = /usr/share/arduino
  2. ARDMK_DIR = /usr/share/arduino
  3. # Set to YOUR avrtools path
  4. AVR_TOOLS_DIR = /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avr
  6. TARGET = main
  7. ARDUINO_LIBS =
  8. BOARD_TAG = uno
  9. MONITOR_PORT = /dev/ttyACM0
  11. include /usr/share/arduino/Arduino.mk
To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

I also had to change 'raw_update' to just 'update'. Has anyone had success deploying from QT to the Mega 2560 board?

I was going to have a look at Eclipse, but had trouble getting that up and running. The version in the Ubuntu repository is really old, even older than QT Creator 4.5.2 I think.