Thread: QSettings usage for multiple processes

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Question QSettings usage for multiple processes

I am planning to use QSettings to save certain parameters of my application. These are to be used for recovery and restoration of the application to the saved state. As I understand from the documentation, the QSettings file can be used across parallel instances of the same application. But for my use case, I will be running parallel instances of the same application, but each application can have a different state which I want to persist. That is, the changes made in one instance should not be propagated to the other instances. Is this possible using QSettings? If so, how?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: QSettings usage for multiple processes

The default QSettings file format is the same as a Windows INI file, with a hierarchy of key=value fields within groups. If you have a way of giving a unique identifier to each of your parallel processes, then you can define top-level groups using those IDs as the group names. Within each of these top-level groups, you can then have the same subgroup / key-value hierarchy. When any process reads or writes parameters, it must first open the top-level group corresponding to its ID so it gets its own unique set.

I am not sure how you can define unique identifiers for the processes that will be persistent across different invocations. Perhaps there is something on stackoverflow with a solution to this problem.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: QSettings usage for multiple processes

Quote Originally Posted by d_stranz View Post
    The default QSettings file format is the same as a Windows INI file, with a hierarchy of key=value fields within groups. If you have a way of giving a unique identifier to each of your parallel processes, then you can define top-level groups using those IDs as the group names. Within each of these top-level groups, you can then have the same subgroup / key-value hierarchy. When any process reads or writes parameters, it must first open the top-level group corresponding to its ID so it gets its own unique set.

I am not sure how you can define unique identifiers for the processes that will be persistent across different invocations. Perhaps there is something on stackoverflow with a solution to this problem.
    Thank you! Will try this out.