Thread: Connect to network drive

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5

Default Connect to network drive

So I am attempting to build an app that will backup my files to a network drive.

Presently my network drive is a usb stick connected to my router. At the moment I can't figure out ho to connect to the network drive using Qt. I have fiddled with QDir and QDesktopServices but I cannot get either to list the files on the network drive. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Connect to network drive

If the drive is not mounted at the OS level (ie. using linux mount or making a connection as a Windows network drive) so the OS filesystem sees it then Qt can't see it either, since Qt's file services are layered on top of the underlying file system.

You can possibly use QProcess to mount the drive, at which point you can access it, as explained in this stackoverflow post based on linux. I imagine there is some equivalent in Windows.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5

Quote Originally Posted by d_stranz View Post
    If the drive is not mounted at the OS level (ie. using linux mount or making a connection as a Windows network drive) so the OS filesystem sees it then Qt can't see it either, since Qt's file services are layered on top of the underlying file system.

You can possibly use QProcess to mount the drive, at which point you can access it, as explained in this stackoverflow post based on linux. I imagine there is some equivalent in Windows.
    I am actually using Linux, Ubuntu specifically and I have the drive mounted already.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I am actually using Linux, Ubuntu specifically and I have the drive mounted already.
    Does the account from which you are running the Qt app have the same access rights as the directory at the mount point? If so, I am surprised that the Qt program can't see it. Perhaps one of the linux gurus here can add more.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5

So I finally figured out to connect to a network drive. If I put /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=192.168.0.1,share=volume(sda1) as the path in QDirIterator it works fine. Had to use QFileDialog to fine the path however. Using "//192.168.0.1/volume(sda1)" as a path doesn't work.
    Last edited by bandito; 10th April 2020 at 18:04.

6. The following user says thank you to bandito for this useful post:

d_stranz (10th April 2020)